Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 02, 2019

Harry Potter And The Cursed Child - Tickets Bought!

I did it, only yesterday- I bought my tickets for Part 1 and 2 of Harry Potter And The Cursed Child! It’s something I’ve been promising myself I’d do since we had word that the show was coming to Melbourne. Finally, I started my new year yesterday by sitting down at my computer and whipping out my Visa card. Not only that but, considering how expensive the tickets were, I took out insurance - only an extra $3.00.

I was very surprised to find that there were tickets available for this very month as is! It probably helps that I’m only wanting one ticket, but... very nice!

As a Potterhead, I think this will be very special!

An interesting cast. Harry is being portrayed by Gareth Reeves, a Kiwi actor who has an acting bio as long as your arm. Paula Arundell is Hermione. She, too, has a respectable list of films, TV and stage shows. I have heard of her, though I haven’t seen her in much. The two young men playing as Albus Potter and Scorpius Malfoy are a bit older than the characters from the novel. The younger of them, William McKenna, playing Scorpius, is still at high school and this is his debut. What a production to start your career!

The show will be on at the Princess Theatre, one of Melbourne’s landmarks, located across the road from Parliament House. It’s been around since 1854! I used to go there to see the Australian Opera before it moved to the Arts Centre. I haven’t been in a while. The theatre has its very own ghost, though I’ve never seen him. He must be stressing out at all the shows he’s had to sit through since he died!

Just a suggestion to anyone considering going: it’s really for the fans. If you haven’t read the books or at least seen the films, it will not mean much. These are characters we fans have come to know and love - or hate. They have developed. There are twists to events and characters from the original stories. We even find out more about one minor character from the books, but it won’t mean anything if you haven’t met her.

I know what the play is about, having bought a copy in ebook the day it came out. It was a rehearsal script, so may have changed, but probably not all that much. So, should I reread it before I go? Or should I let myself be at least partly surprised? What do you think?


8 comments:

AJ Blythe said...

Saw this and am off to bed but had to quickly stop by to go *squeeee*. Very jealous. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Elle said...

Ohhh this sounds like it will be a blast! Here, where I live in the US, there is a theater performance of The Lion King that I will be attending on the 6th. I'm so excited for it! It is always fun to see a work being performed through different mediums. I watched the original animation yesterday, then I'm going to see the play, and hopefully the live action version when it comes out!

Sue Bursztynski said...

You’ll hear all about it at the end of the month! My tickets are for January 29 and 30. How good is that?

Sue Bursztynski said...

Elle, I missed The Lion King when it was on in Australia, hope you enjoy it! They apparently did an amazing job with the costumes for that show.

Brian Joseph said...

This is very cool. As you lone I am just reading the books now. I have really liked the films since they came out. The play sound so interesting. I probably would not read it first. Have fun!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Thanks, Brian, I’m looking forward to it. I have read the play, back when I didn’t think it would ever come here, just not recently.

miki said...

i'm so happy for you!!!! which one is your favourite character ( not in the show but in general)

thank you a lot for the calendar too!!!!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Wow! You already got the calendar? I sent it so very late - this is quicker than sending it within Australia! Hope you like it, anyway.

I am not sure I can pick only one favourite character. I love the Weasleys - ALL of them! Hermione rocks. Professor McGonagall... Oh, heck, I love them all! Who are your favourites?