Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2018

The Doctor And The YA Novelist!

Just a quick post. I’ve now seen Rosa, this week’s episode of Dr Who, and was impressed both with the episode in general and the co-author specifically.

As you probably know, it concerns the story of Rosa Parks, whose place in history is about to be sabotaged by a time travelling criminal, and the Doctor and her companions have to put history back. It’s occurred to me that this is why the TARDIS brought them there instead of Sheffield. Early in the episode, the Doctor yells at the TARDIS for bringing them to Montgomery, Alabama, in 1955, instead of Sheffield 2018. Now we know why, otherwise you’d have to really suspend disbelief that they just happened to be in the right place at the right time to fix it. I had a great chuckle at the Doctor’s mentioning she’d lent Elvis a mobile phone - it must be the kind the earlier incarnation handed Rose, and perhaps it happened during that Christmas special when the Doctor found himself engaged to Marilyn Monroe...

What I enjoyed was that the companions all get a task to do to make things run properly. They don’t just follow the Doctor or even follow her instructions - they get their own ideas. They don’t need her breathing down their necks. When things go wrong, they don’t freeze, they improvise. And they insist on participating even when the Doctor urges them to return to the safety of the TARDIS, because after all, Rosa Parks can’t just get away, can she?

There was a lot of humour in what was still a serious story, and it worked. I think this will be a good team.

Now, why did I mention the co-author of this script? Well, it was none other than British writer  Malorie Blackman, author of many wonderful YA novels, including some that were dramatised for TV. we had some of  her books in my library and the kids did enjoy them. She was the British Children’s Laureate in 2013. I met her in the lift at Reading Matters one year, but was too tongue-tied to speak.

And now she’s writing Dr Who! I am so very excited!

8 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sue - as I'm not in England ... I haven't even seen trailers etc ... I guess I'll catch up - it's always good tv ... and your review encourages me when I can get to see it. Good for Malorie .. and how fun you met her ... take care - cheers Hilary

Sue Bursztynski said...

They aren’t showing it in Canada? Australia is getting it, as is the US... sure you can find at least the trailer on line, though.

A latte beckons said...

I thought they handled this episode really well. When I saw Malorie Blackman's name on the titles I jumped up in excitement -- I hadn't realised she was involved!
We are loving the new Doctor and her gang at our house :-)

Sue Bursztynski said...

Yes, I was very excited too. And I agree about the new lot. They will do very well.

AJ Blythe said...

The Barbarian hasn't watched episode two or three yet. Thank goodness for iView.

Sue Bursztynski said...

iview is doing better these days - it only used to show catch-ups for about a week. Unfortunately I can only use it on my iPad because it’s now only available on the latest OS, so that means heading to the library, where there is wifi, with a pair of headphones. I’m counting down the time till I can buy the DVD!

UrbanDragon said...

I'm loving the new doctor. She's not so shouty/ overexcitable. I'm writing this after seeing Demons of the Punjab and thinking how nice it is to see stories that don't have to threaten the entire universe to make the audience care. Hope to see more episodes like this and Rosa, written by real writers.

A littl off topic because you're talking about Rosa and this is about Demons of the Punjab, but this link is interesting Spoilers, though -:

https://bit.ly/2zVVgmY

Also it's sad that the writer had modern, real life experiences to draw upon.

Sue Bursztynski said...

I’m not familiar with this author, though I see now, on a Google, he is a playwright as well as screenwriter. Maybe they will do some of his work in Melbourne some time. There was an interview in which he said he was working on a play about a George Lucas doing Star Wars!

Yes, Demons is a very good episode, very sad, and you’re right, it does show that you don’t have to have the universe in danger for us to care. I hope there are some more that good.

I agree about the Doctor, I’m very pleased with her.