Search This Blog

Saturday, December 12, 2015

New Goodies On My Cyber Bookshelves!

I don't know about you, but I sometimes browse through the "bestsellers for $4.99 and under, temporarily" list in iBooks. You never know what you'll find. This time it was To Catch A Thief by David Dodge, on which the movie was based - you know the one, a Hitchcock adventure made in Monte Carlo, with Grace Kelly - her last movie, because she met Prince Rainier and married him, to become Princess Grace. The story was entertaining and the visuals stunning. So far, so entertaining - I didn't know it was based on a novel. It was very cheap too - I told my sister, who adores that movie, and she got it too.

I bought a couple of anthologies published by local small presses, one by David McDonald(Cold Comfort), one by Dirk Flinthart, Striking Fire. I am waiting for the planned book of Red Priest stories which will collect all those Robert E Howard-style stories we published in ASIM some years ago, and wonderful stories they were, too. Dirk does terrific adventure, though "The Best Dog In The World", the story he had in Worlds Next Door, a collection of children's fiction, made me sniffle a lot if not cry. It was not really a children's story, but to have left it out would have been a crime.

Anyway, no Red Priest stories just yet, so for the time being I will enjoy Striking Fire.

I picked up a Gutenberg copy of Jane Eyre because I felt like a reread after finishing Cloudwish, in which the heroine is constantly quoting from it. It was one of the books that went missing when my old iPad broke. Most came back on a backup, some didn't. Fortunately, this one was easy to get back.

 I yielded and bought Tournament at Gorlan, the new Ranger's Apprentice prequel. I am not allowing myself to read it till I have finished the last couple of books from the original series. The good news is that the title Ranger's Apprentice: The Early Years suggests - to me, at least - that it may be Te start of a new series. If so, I'm looking forward to reading how Halt stole those ponies from this universe's Mongols to breed for the Ranger Corps.

Plenty to read over the holidays, then. What are you reading?

4 comments:

Lan said...

I've finished my Goodreads challenge so am saving up all my books to read for next year. Which, now that I think about it, is kind of silly. Ive got quite a few good books lined up including the last in the obernewtyn series.

Sue Bursztynski said...

I haven't done any challenges. Why not just read them if you want to? I'm hoping now that she's finished Obernewtyn she might finally finish Legendsong, though if she does they will have to promote the series all over again.

Lan said...

I've been waiting forever for book 3 in that series as well! Must reread because I've forgotten a lot of what happens.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Isobelle Carmody told me she had written about 400 pages, but that was around four years ago. I'll wait till the publication date is announced before rereading. ;-)