Search This Blog

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Supanova Saturday

Friday afternoon at the Sebel was a nice start to the weekend. We all gathered in one of the conference rooms, where we got some tips about promoting. Some I was already doing, some you can't do while you work full time, but I took note of anything that was possible and happily chatted with the other writers there. Deb Abela gave my ego a boost by saying how much she had enjoyed Crime Time. Samantha-Ellen, who once gave Wolfborn a nice review and a four star rating was there as she has her first book coming out soon. Ben Chandler said," I've met you!" Probably at a con, I have to take his word for it. Yesterday we all turned up for Supanova's first day. Ben, Nansi and Deb turned up first and would go tweeting about it while I was on my way. I will put up the photos when I have had a chance to download them on my laptop. My camera battery died on me yet AGAIN. Nansi Kunze, who was sitting next to me, said it's normal for that model.Drat. I had to take a couple more with my phone, but am glad I had that option. We signed a fair bit. I had some bookmarks left and signed more of those than books, but I did sign some of those. A young lady in Ranger's Apprentice costume said she had read Wolfborn and wished she had brought her copy. We chatted about Ranger's Apprentice, which we agreed was a terrific series. Deb, who writes for younger children, had plenty of young fans coming to talk to her and get their books signed. The RHA bunch worked very hard all day, sending folk our way; we, at least, had the chance to take a break. The other writers were lovely to chat with, and we talked up each other's books. Back today and more photos. If you are in Melbourne today, do come along. It's not expensive and plenty to see and hear. And the costumes! I really miss the costuming we used to do at regular SF cons, but here it still happens.

2 comments:

Sean Wright said...

Sounds like an absolute blast. I have been to one Supanova when I was visiting my sister in Brisbane. Too many peeps and they shunted the authors who were presenting into an area with the acoustics of a carpark. Still I got to meet Ian Irvine, Marianne de Pierres, Rowena Cory Daniells,Kylie Chan, and Trent Jamieson.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Yes, it was great! And I know what you mean about trying to hear the guest speakers. I didn't get to do that this time, as I was there to work and only had a dealer's room pass, but I have been to a number of Armageddon cons and last time I went, poor Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred had to compete with the noise of a wrestling match going on outside! That was the year when they didn't book small rooms for some events, so it was loud all the time. But the dealer's room at these cons is really where most of it happens.We sat at our table, talked to passers- by and watched everything from a costumed conga line to a parade of Darth Vaders, including a lot of cute little Darth Vaders who no doubt had plenty to talk about at Dark Lord Primary next day.