Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Children’s Book Council of Australia Shortlist 2019!



Well, the CBCA shortlist is here, and I’m embarrassed to say I haven’t read any of the books on it, though I’ve heard of or read some of the authors. Claire Atkins has been on the shortlist before, as have Scot Gardner and Steven Herrick. To be honest, I love Steven Herrick’s verse novels more than his prose books, but I wish him all the best for this time. I read one of Karen Foxlee’s books for the Aurealis Awards and that was shortlisted in the children’s section. In the Younger Readers I am familiar with the work of Ursula Dubosarsky, who has certainly been shortlisted before, the wonderful Jaclyn Moriarty(check out my interview with her on this site!) and Emily Rodda, very popular with the kids, for her Deltora books, but this isn’t one of them. 

I see Alison Lester and Tohby Riddle are there in the picture book section - well done!  

Time to get reading! 

I found this on the Reading’s web site - check for the full details here


Older Readers (for ages 13-18 years)
Younger Readers (for ages 8-12 years)
Early Childhood (for ages 0-7 years)
Picture Book of the Year (for ages 0-18 years)
Eve Pownall Award for Information Books (for ages 0-18 years)
CBCA Award for New Illustrator (for ages 0-18 years)


3 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

There are so many books out there. The old cliche about there never being enough time is true. Whenever a new shortlist comes out, it is a reminder of this.

AJ Blythe said...

I clicked through all the books for older readers - but none are ones that would interest my Barbarians. Small Spaces by Sarah Epstein sounded very familiar so I am sure I must have picked it up in a bookstore and read the back, or a review or something.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Brian, absolutely, so man6 books, so little time! AJ, I’m sure your sons will find lots of goodies in their school library. You never know, from year to year, what is going to turn up on the shortlist. I am rather disappointed that some of my favourites didn’t turn up here, Books I was so sure would be there, but I’ll be reading them anyway and report back!