Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Back To The Future 2! October 21, 2015!

Just a short post tonight. This has been discussed on the radio and elsewhere. To be honest, I've only seen the movie once or twice, though I do have the DVD as part of my boxed set. It's the weakest of the three, IMO. But still, it's set on Wednesday, October 21st 2015, and tribute should be paid. The first film is a classic and the third almost as good. And Michael J Fox was running around trying to do both that and the TV series he was in at the time.

We don't have hover boards, thank goodness! It's bad enough trying to scramble out of the way of regular skateboards, without having to worry about flying ones. We don't have flying cars and probably won't have any in the near future, if ever. We do have flat screen TVs, though I have an old style box, myself, bought only a few years ago. I like them better.

I think SF writers are more careful these days with their predictions. But when you see films such as 2001, you just don't care. It's amazing stuff anyway.

But I remember, a few years ago, finding an old non fiction book on my library shelves, predicting life in the year 2000, and getting it all very wrong. I gave it to one of the teachers who did an English unit on the theme of The Future, so she could show her class how people thought of the future in the past.

Come to think of it, there's a Jules Verne novel called Paris 2000, or some such - I bought a copy but have mislaid it. We can forgive M.Verne for any errors he might have made, because he took the science known at the time quite seriously. I recall that H.G Wells sneered at his story about going to the moon and Verne said that at least he'd done his research, unlike Wells, whose method of getting to the moon had been made up.

In the end, we have to suspend disbelief when the writing is good. 

No comments: