Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Just Finished Listening To… Norse Mythology BBC Radio 4 Full Cast Dramatisation by Neil Gaiman!




 I have just listened to the BBC Radio 4 adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s Norse Mythology. I do have the book and was hoping to find the actual audiobook of the original, but it wasn’t on Apple or even Kindle, for some reason, and it’s constantly out from my library, so I bought this instead, and I have to say, it’s very good, especially for the amazing cast. 


Neil Gaiman himself does his usual cameo role, in this case a radio announcer talking about the weather. It starts with a mysterious woman who calls herself Njordsdottir -presumably the goddess Freya - visiting a hospital and talking to a sick child, Magnus. She ends up as the storyteller, telling him the Norse myths, which are acted out as a play. 


The role of the Teller -  Njordsdottir - is played by the wonderful Diana Rigg, but she is not the only one listeners might have heard before. We hear Derek Jacobi’s distinctive voice as Odin and goodness, he is Odin! I’ve been a fan of this actor since I, Claudius and Brother Cadfael. Natalie Dormer, whom you have probably seen as Anne Boleyn in The Tudors or as Margaery Tyrrel in Game Of Thrones plays the goddess Freya. The adorable Colin Morgan, Newt Pulsifer in the radio play of Good Omens and Merlin in the TV series of the same name, is Loki. Colin Morgan’s voice is delightful as always. 


If you do want to hear the audiobook for free, I have come across it on YouTube, read by the author. There is another audiobook of it read by Tom Hiddleston, though to be honest, I prefer the one read by Neil Gaiman. He is a fabulous reader who does most of his own audiobooks. Tom Hiddleston has a beautiful speaking voice, but his performance of this one is rather dull, I’m afraid. I have no idea why. He is a fine Shakespearean actor, as well as wonderful in the role for which he is best known, Loki, but really, he might as well be reading the phone book in this. 


The radio play, though, is well worth a listen. I got my copy on Apple Books for a very reasonable A$12.99. If you are on Audible it’s free with the trial.


Or perhaps your library has a copy! 






8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It sounds wonderful! I don't usually go for audiobooks but this tempts me.

AJ Blythe said...

I don't have time for audio books. I am never still long enough to be able to listen (it's why I only get to read when I go to bed). One day I hope that might change!

UrbanDragon said...

That sounds like a wonderful audiobook. I hadn't heard about it before, but now I'll be watching out for it. Thanks Sue :)

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Terry! You will love it!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Debra! I hope you do get to listen to it, even if for the cast.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Anita! I have begun listening to audiobooks while doing housework. It really makes th3 work easier.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sue - sorreee so so late ... but these tales came up recently ... and I've just succumbed and bought the book ... I just need to read! Have a lovely Christmas and all the best for 2023 ... cheers Hilary

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Hilary! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.