Search This Blog

Monday, November 07, 2022

In Which I Go To The Opera!

 

Poster for Melbourne production- fair use

Last Wednesday I went to see Opera Australia in Phantom Of The Opera. It was the first time since I saw it in the 1990s. Back then, I was sitting at the front, and had the fascinating experience of seeing into the wings, where the stage hands were hauling the boat across the stage! This time I sat near the back, so was able to enjoy whatever illusion there was.


 I know there are those who sneer at this sort of popular stuff, but it’s popular because a lot of people enjoy it. What’s wrong with that? I enjoy classic opera, but let’s face it, the stories tend to be pretty silly. Not all, but many. Anna Russell had a lot of fun with describing those operas in her shows - and she loved them too, she just understood that they could be silly. If you are interested, there is a lot of her material on YouTube, including a video of her famous twenty minute Ring Cycle. It’s hilarious! 


This opera - and it is an opera, not what we think of as a musical - is based on a novel by Gaston Leroux. The Paris Opera house is “haunted” by a crazed musical genius who has a maimed face and is obsessed with Christine, a beautiful young soprano, who thinks he is the “Angel of music” she read about in a book as a child. He teaches her singing. But the soprano has a boyfriend, which could be a problem…


I do have a copy of the book somewhere, beautifully illustrated. 


There are quite a few film versions, including one I vaguely recall had Nelson Eddy, with the “Phantom” played by Claude Rains(1943). There was a film version with Herbert Lom as a very sympathetic Phantom. The baddie has stolen his opera, Joan Of Arc, and he became disfigured in a fire, trying to get it back. When she hears his sad story, she gives him a hug and lets him continue to teach her the role.


I had such a wonderful evening at the theatre! The music is glorious, and I ended up buying some merchandise. I resisted the jewellery and the mugs and t shirts and bought the program and a CD of the opera. I rarely buy programs these days, with nowhere to put them, but it was a special occasion, and I can play the music when I feel like it.





The only thing was, I had a hard time trying not to think of Terry Pratchett’s send up, Maskerade, in which his two witches, Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg, go to the big city to sort out the problem of a book Nanny wrote, which has become a bestseller, but the publishers haven’t paid her.  It’s a cookbook with recipes which are all about “goings on”(Nanny thoroughly enjoyed sex in her time and regrets nothing). While there, they are in search of a young woman, Agnes, whom they want to be their third witch but who has become a member of the Ankh Morpork opera chorus. And yes, the Opera House has its own “opera ghost”, who makes demands and who has a fascination with a girl called Christine, but Christine is dim-witted, can’t sing and only got into the chorus because the new owner owes her father money. Agnes has a powerful, glorious voice, but is fat, so nobody wants her in leading roles. The opera ghost accidentally teaches her instead of Christine, so she is asked to sing for Christine when the opera ghost demands Christine be given lead roles. 


The novel makes references to the Michael Crawford version of Phantom, only the Crawford character, Walter Plinge, is Crawford’s klutzy Frank Spencer, from comedy Some Mothers Do ’Ave’Em


I tried not to giggle! Still, I ended up buying the Pratchett novel in ebook. I’m rereading it already.


Have you seen the opera or read the novel - either the original or the Pratchett send up of the Lloyd Webber opera? 

6 comments:

Hels said...

I would agree with you about enjoying classic opera, even thought the stories were indeed pretty silly. I was thinking EXACTLY that when writing about Wagner's final opera, Parsifal. However the seascape is beyond fabulous and I would go to the southern Italy Festival in a heartbeat!

thanks for the link
Hels
https://melbourneblogger.blogspot.com/2022/11/richard-wagner-ravello-music-festival.html

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Hels, great! I’ll check out your blog link. I am not into Wagner, but the seascape sounds good.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, in the 90s I saw Canada's touring production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical "Phantom of the Opera" too. Loved the special effects of the boat floating down the candle-filled water as well. Does the new production still have the huge chandelier crashing down? I've never read the original book or anything else, including Pratchett's parody. But I think I saw an old silent movie once of the Phantom story? Or am I just dreaming?

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Debra! When I saw it in the 90s, that special effect involved some stage hands in the wings, pulling…😂 I think they may have a moving floor by now. The chandelier I saw the other night didn’t actually fall, it came down and sparked dramatically.

AJ Blythe said...

I saw Phantom on Broadway. I was beyond excited, and then so disappointed. It is not a favourite musical/opera for me at all I am afraid. I love the theatre and go whenever the dollars allow. My next is Amadeus with Michael Sheen at the Sydney Opera House in December and am quite excited about that one.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Goodness, Michael Sheen as Salieri? Wow! I’ve seen that on stage(the late Fred Parslow as Salieri) and the film, with F.Murray Abraham, who got an Oscar for it. I wonder if I can fly up to Sydney for it, then return next day?