Search This Blog

Monday, December 19, 2022

Just Been To See…Black Panther 2: Wakanda Forever

 I haven’t posted in a while, I admit, due to family issues, such as my mother being in and out of hospital. But I’m back, briefly, and I’d like to share with you the film I have been to see most recently, Black Panther 2: Wakanda Forever. 


Movie poster: Fair use



If you are at all familiar with the Marvel films or the comics, you will know that Wakanda is an African nation ruled by a king - or, as in this film, a Queen - who takes a potion that gives the new ruler super powers, though the last king, T’Challa, also had a scientific genius kid sister, Shuri, who made his suits. The new ruler takes the potion and sees an ancestor who gives wise advice. And Wakanda has a mineral, vibranium, which is found nowhere else in the world. Everyone wants it, including the US - and everyone is prepared to do whatever it takes to get it. Just as well Wakanda has an almost entirely female army, who can wipe out mercenaries! 


In this film, we learn that, actually, there is another place that has vibranium, and Namor, the ruler of this underwater realm, is not happy to have it raided by the above-water world. Quite understandable, though his way of dealing with it may be less understandable.


But the main theme of this film is grief and dealing with it. T’Challa dies offstage and his mother, Queen Ramonda, rules for the time being, presumably because her daughter is too young and inexperienced to do the job. This, of course, is because the actor, Chadwick Boseman, died of cancer, but it is worked very well into the film. Shuri, who was a supporting character in the first film, is now playing the lead role. She becomes the Black Panther when needed, and makes her own suit, as well as some more for other characters. 


I’ll try not to do spoilers here, but I personally think this film is even better than the first one, which I enjoyed very much. I liked the fact that most of the characters were black. In this film, I like the fact that most of the characters are also women - strong, intelligent women, including another brilliant young scientist, Riri Williams, who has built a vibranium detector - as a class project at university! I believe she is going to be Ironheart, the replacement for Iron Man, as Tony Stark is dead, and she wears her first suit in this film, fighting for Wakanda.


And there is a female villain…


Namor isn’t really a villain in the traditional sense. He wants to protect his kingdom, even if he is doing it wrongly - and when you see what happened to his people in flashbacks, you don’t blame him.


I confess I haven’t read the Black Panther or Namor the Submariner comics, except one very short piece in a comic featuring various Marvel characters over the decades. But as a viewer, I think the film makers have done a very fine job here, making us feel for the characters.


If you enjoy fantasy adventures, I do recommend this, but watch the first film, Black Panther, before you get into this one.

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I haven't seen this one yet -- waiting for it to stream on Disney+. But I'm looking forward to it! Glad that women are front and centre!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sue - all the best with your mother ... these days are so valuable ... and they love their time with their children. I haven't seen these films - I catch glimpses on the tv ... and sometimes see articles about them ... I catch up eventually! Very sad about Chadwick Boseman though ... Cheers Hilary

Sue Bursztynski said...

It will be a few months before it goes to streaming, so be patient! And enjoy.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Hilary! Thanks! Yes, it is sad about Chadwick Boseman. He was so very good. The last thing he did, I think, was lend his voice to the animated series What If? In which his character, T’Challa, becomes the leader of a band which started as space pirates and, under him, become Robin Hood’s Merries!

The films are amazing, so I hope you do catch up.

AJ Blythe said...

As a die hard Marvel fan (the movies, not the comics) I didn't read too far in for fear of spoilers. Can't wait to see it, although that will probably be many, many months away (won't get to the cinemas and don't have the right streaming service).

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Anita! I did try to avoid spoilers. I hope you enjoy the film, when you do see it, as much as I did. I personally think it’s even better than the first one, and I loved that.