Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 08, 2020

Death In Daylesford by Kerry Greenwood. Sydney: Allen and Unwin, 2020.




 I really never expected a new Phryne Fisher novel since the last one, Murder And Mendelssohn, appeared in 2013, so what a pleasant surprise it is to see elegant 1920s sleuth Miss Fisher back again! 


It’s February 1929. Phryne Fisher and her faithful maid Dot are on a short holiday in spa town Daylesford and nearby Hepburn Springs, while Phryne checks out a retreat for shell-shocked soldiers run by a man who has asked her to donate. This being a Phryne Fisher mystery, there is, of course, murder - and disappearing women - and a kidnapping. The interesting thing about the murders is that they happen in public, in the middle of a crowd. 


Back in Melbourne Phryne’s three adopted children, Ruth, Jane and Tinker, are investigating a mystery of their own, when a schoolmate of the girls is found dead in the water. They investigate the death with the help of Dot’s fiancé, Detective Sergeant Hugh Collins, who has been left with a temporary, incompetent boss while Jack Robinson is seconded to another department. 


So, in this novel, familiar characters such as Jack, Bert and Cec appear only briefly, as does Phryne’s lover Lin Chung. But the book manages without them this time and it’s rather nice to have lesser characters take the stage in their own right instead of just assisting the heroine. There are usually two to three threads in any Phryne Fisher novel anyway; this time the second thread is not about her investigation. 


The film which was being made at coastal town Queenscliff in Dead Man’s Chest is shown at the local cinema in this novel, a nice touch. 


Death In Daylesford is much tighter-written than some of the other later books in this series. While anything by Kerry Greenwood is a delight, there were, for example, chunks of Dead Man’s Chest that could have been cut without damage to the novel, so good to see this. 


It has been a long time since the last Phryne Fisher novel, as the author has been unwell, and it was a pleasure to pick up where I left off with Murder And Mendelssohn


The Fisher novels are more or less stand alone, but it’s probably best to start with the early ones and read a few before reading this one. 


Available now at your favourite on line bookstore if you live in Australia, but not till June next year, alas, if you live elsewhere. Still, if you haven’t read the others in the series, this should give you time to catch up. 

8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like a good series! And I love that stylish cover!

Melanie said...

I'm so glad to see this! I fell in love with the Phyrne Fisher TV series and started on the books immediately. I think I'm about three in (they're hard to find at my library!) and I'm so pleased she's still writing them!

Sue Bursztynski said...

It’s a wonderful series, Debra! And all the covers are stylish, done in the style of Erte, Phryne’s favourite fashion designer. I do recommend you checking out these books. They’re much better than other cosies I have read, and bring 1920s Melbourne to life.

Melanie, this is number 21, so plenty for you to read. I personally prefer the earlier books, but they are all worth a read. If you’ve read Murder On The Ballarat Train, the next is Death At Victoria Dock, when Hugh Collins, later engaged to Dot, makes his first appearance. Perhaps consider getting some in ebook if your library doesn’t have them? I read and reread them, so don’t mind spending the money.

AJ Blythe said...

I wondered what this book was like. As I've said before, love the tv series, the books not so much (I am a huge fan of her Corinna Chapman series though).

Sue Bursztynski said...

I agree the Corinna Chapman books are wonderful. I love the earlier Phryne Fisher books, not so much the later ones. The TV series was beautiful visually, well cast, but as I had read the books first, I just couldn’t enjoy Season 1 as I’d hoped to. The last two episodes were downright stupid! I recall meeting Kerry at Sisters In Crime one evening and she cringed at those two episodes!

After they stopped trying to film the novels and wrote their own storylines, it got better, though the whole romance between Phryne and Jack - no, no, no!

AJ Blythe said...

Ah, but Nathan Page is just wonderful as Jack in the tv series.

Sue Bursztynski said...

He is! The thing is, book-Jack was successful as a policeman because he had a forgettable face. I guess it might be too much to ask of an a torM

Sue Bursztynski said...

Actor.