Search This Blog

Sunday, May 31, 2020

The Hugo Shortlist 2020



Here is the short list for this year’s Hugo Awards.  For those of you who don’t know about this award, the annual award for the best in speculative fiction, voted on my members of the World Science Fiction Convention. This year I’m a member - I was hoping to attend, as it’s only over the pond in New Zealand, but I’m sure you all know why that’s not possible. It’s all gone online, not the same, but at least it’s still happening, as are the Hugo Awards. As a I am a member, I have  been sent links to downloads for books, short stories, etc. I guess it’s worth joining for the books alone.

 I confess I haven’t read any of them, but will hopefully be able to comment on each one I do read. It will take me a few days to download everything I want(forget the dramatic presentations, which are in the gigabytes! I’ve seen most of the long form and a couple of the short form anyway) and yesterday I did so much downloading I had a hard time backing it all up. Today I have downloaded the short stories. A couple of the books only offered an extract, so I will save myself some download on those. If the publisher is not willing to let me read the whole book, I’m not willing to give them my vote. Plenty to read! 

I see there are two Aussie dwelling nominees in the New Author category. Nice! Plus an Aussie podcast, 

Anyway, here ‘tis! Thanks to Locus Magazine from which I got this list.  Have you read/seen any of them?



Best Novel
Best Novella
Best Novelette
  • “For He Can Creep”, Siobhan Carroll (Tor.com 7/10/19)
  • “Omphalos”, Ted Chiang (Exhalation)
  • “Away with the Wolves”, Sarah Gailey (Uncanny 9-10/19)
  • “Emergency Skin”, N.K. Jemisin (Forward)
  • “The Blur in the Corner of Your Eye”, Sarah Pinsker (Uncanny 7-8/19)
  • “The Archronology of Love”, Caroline M. Yoachim (Lightspeed 4/19)
Best Short Story
  • “Do Not Look Back, My Lion”, Alix E. Harrow (Beneath Ceaseless Skies 1/31/19)
  • “As the Last I May Know”, S.L. Huang (Tor.com 10/23/19)
  • “And Now His Lordship Is Laughing”, Shiv Ramdas (Strange Horizons 9/9/19)
  • “Ten Excerpts from an Annotated Bibliography on the Cannibal Women of Ratnabar Island”, Nibedita Sen (Nightmare 5/19)
  • “Blood Is Another Word for Hunger”, Rivers Solomon (Tor.com 7/24/19)
  • “A Catalog of Storms”, Fran Wilde (Uncanny 1-2/19)
Best Series
  • Winternight, Katherine Arden (Del Rey; Del Rey UK)
  • The Expanse, James S.A. Corey (Orbit US; Orbit UK)
  • Luna, Ian McDonald (Tor; Gollancz)
  • InCryptid, Seanan McGuire (DAW)
  • Planetfall, Emma Newman (Ace; Gollancz)
  • The Wormwood Trilogy, Tade Thompson (Orbit US; Orbit UK)
Best Related Work
Best Graphic Story or Comic
Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Captain Marvel
  • Good Omens
  • Russian Doll, Season One
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
  • Us
Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form
  • Doctor Who: “Resolution”
  • The Expanse: “Cibola Burn”
  • The Good Place: “The Answer”
  • The Mandalorian: “Redemption”
  • Watchmen: “A God Walks into Abar”
  • Watchmen: “This Extraordinary Being”
Best Editor, Short Form
  • Neil Clarke
  • Ellen Datlow
  • C.C. Finlay
  • Jonathan Strahan
  • Lynne M. Thomas & Michael Damian Thomas
  • Sheila Williams
Best Editor, Long Form
  • Sheila Gilbert
  • Brit Hvide
  • Diana M. Pho
  • Devi Pillai
  • Miriam Weinberg
  • Navah Wolfe
Best Professional Artist
  • Tommy Arnold
  • Rovina Cai
  • Galen Dara
  • John Picacio
  • Yuko Shimizu
  • Alyssa Winans
Best Semiprozine
  • Beneath Ceaseless Skies
  • Escape Pod
  • Fireside
  • FIYAH
  • Strange Horizons
  • Uncanny
Best Fanzine
  • The Book Smugglers
  • Galactic Journey
  • Journey Planet
  • nerds of a feather, flock together
  • Quick Sip Reviews
  • The Rec Center
Best Fancast
  • Be the Serpent
  • The Coode Street Podcast
  • Galactic Suburbia
  • Our Opinions Are Correct
  • Claire Rousseau’s YouTube channel
  • The Skiffy and Fanty Show
Best Fan Writer
  • Cora Buhlert
  • James Davis Nicoll
  • Alasdair Stuart
  • Bogi Takács
  • Paul Weimer
  • Adam Whitehead
Best Fan Artist
  • Iain Clark
  • Sara Felix
  • Grace P. Fong
  • Meg Frank
  • Ariela Housman
  • Elise Matthesen
Lodestar for Best Young Adult Book (Not a Hugo)
Astounding Award for Best New Writer (Not a Hugo)
  • Sam Hawke*
  • R.F. Kuang*
  • Jenn Lyons
  • Nibedita Sen*
  • Tasha Suri*
  • Emily Tesh
*Second year of eligibility

14 comments:

AJ Blythe said...

Nope, haven't heard of any of those books, but I do know one of the authors: Sam Hawke (Astounding Award for Best New Author), and I have her debut "City of Lies" which has won a bunch of awards.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Yep! And Jenn Lyons lives in Melbourne.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sue - not my kind of reading ... but great to have the list to see and note. Pity you can't attend the convention ... just frustratingly bad timing. A really interesting range of categories ... and if I had time - I'd definitely see if I could check one out via the library - perhaps next year, when I've caught my tail. Thanks for letting us know - Hilary

Sue Bursztynski said...

Thanks, Hilary! SF and fantasy are not for everyone. I will be posting about what I read over the next few weeks and perhaps some will be of interest to you.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Haven't read or even heard of any of these, but I DID see "Avengers: Endgame," LOL!

Sue Bursztynski said...

I’ve seen all but Us and Russian Doll. I will be voting for Good Omens in that list, and be very surprised if it doesn’t win.

Guillaume said...

I don't read much if any scifi. And my favourite scifi books were mainly written by authors who barely wrote scifi and when they did it was almost accidental (such as Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange).

Sue Bursztynski said...

That IS interesting, Guillaume! Is there a reason for that? Reading literary writers who, by chance, wrote something that could be regarded as science fiction? Because that one is a classic!

Guillaume said...

Not sure if there is any reason for it. I just really got into crime fiction, "serious" literature and I think the scifi novels I prefer (A Clockwork Orange, 1984) are first modern philosophical tales, scifi stories second. Scifi does not get in the way of literature and the themes are deeply philosophical but never explored with pretention.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Interesting that some authors who write this sort of fiction absolutely deny being SF writers, isn’t it? In the end, *good* SF is not only about “what if...?” but also “If this goes on...” and comments on what is happening in the real world, IMO.

Guillaume said...

For Anthony Burgess (my favourite writer, by the way), he thought little of scifi as a genre, except for the work of H.G. Wells, partially because his most famous novel, which he also thought little about, cast a very long shadow over his other works. I think Orwell wrote 1984 more as a cautionary tale than "proper" scifi. Neither of them were scifi writers, by this I mean that they did not write scifi exclusively. They were writers who sometimes happened to write in that specific genre.

I think most if not all scifi stories are constructed from two questions: "Is X theoritically possible?" (X being time travel, the existence of intelligent aliens, sentient robots, etc.)and "if X was proven to be true, then what would happen?".

Sue Bursztynski said...

Indeed! 1984 was a cautionary tale that we don’t seem to have paid much attention to, though the sales went up dramatically in late 2016. But it was definitely based on “what if...?”

My first science fiction story, for children, was a “what if...?” based on something theoretically possible. It was called Grey Goo and the theoretical possibility was that you could use nanotechnology for a food replicator(it is, I read it in New Scientist). A girl who decides to make dinner for the family and goes off to do her homework returns to the kitchen to find it overflowing with goo and the last food she programmed it to do... I also had her mother using nanotech to fix an oil spill.

Guillaume said...

Sounds like a cool story. 1984 was a "what if", although not a prophetic novel in any way. I think the novels to read in 2016 if one wanted to find parallels with Trump's election would be It Can't Happen Here and The Manchurian Candidate. The latter is easily my favourite of the two. Stephen King's Dead Zone would be fitting too.

Sue Bursztynski said...

I’ve heard of them all, not read any of those.