Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Just Listened To... Shadow Of The Sun. Big Finish Productions


Image taken from the web site. Fair Use


This is the very first Big Finish production that I’ve bought(there was a freebie, but it was only episode 1), and I have to say I’m impressed. 

Big Finish do audiobook productions of new stories in the familiar universes of various British TV shows. They have been around for some time, offering CDs and downloads. I got this one in download, so I can listen on my iPad while working or in bed. 

This is a Fourth Doctor adventure, starring Tom Baker and Louise Jameson as the Doctor and Leela. The beauty of doing this sort of production is that you can have the original actors without having to worry about them now being too old for their roles. You can shut your eyes and listen and imagine Tom Baker as he was in the 1970s, with his long scarf and floppy hat, and Louise Jameson as the pretty young Companion, dressed in her barbarian costume, knife at her side. They both still sound pretty much as they did back then. 

The Doctor and Leela land on a spaceship when the TARDIS needs to do some repairs on itself. To fill in the time, they wander into the ship to take a look around, and find that it’s headed for the sun, but nobody is bothered! There is a group of cult members who believe they are headed for some sort of paradise beyond the solar barrier...

This particular story is especially interesting because it was recorded completely under lockdown. Following the radio play the  people who made it happen speak about it. Apparently, this was supposed to be a part of the 2024 season, but after their studio sessions had to be cancelled, they discussed it and thought, what the heck, why not just go ahead and do it anyway, and present it now. Louise says she was asked to get a home studio, and recorded her parts in a stairwell at home! 

It’s amazing what people have been able to do in lockdown, isn’t it? I think when it’s all over, some will be able to look back with pride on what they have achieved, and good on them! 

6 comments:

AJ Blythe said...

My eldest Barbarians is a (select) Whovian (he's not fussed on the latest iteration of the doctor - he was excited to see how they took the story having chosen a female for the Doctor, but he didn't like the end product). I'll have to tell him about this.

And yes, I agree there have been some amazing things to come from lockdown. Some people are so creative with what they can do.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Anita! Nice to hear your son was willing to give the female Doctor a go, even if he’s not keen on the result. Personally, I like her; for me, she is still the Doctor. I’ve enjoyed New Who. But my heart belongs to the original series, and Tom Baker is still delightful, nice to know he can still play the Doctor.

Melanie said...

Oh my god this sounds amazing! Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to go listen. It's astonishing that people are managing to be creative right now. I'm finding it such a struggle!

Everyone has their own Doctor, don't they? I get the appeal of Tom Baker, but David Tennant is my Doctor. I've loved Jodie Whittaker, I've just not been so keen on some of the stories. Not her fault, she's a fantastic Doctor!

Guillaume said...

I must confess, I never managed to get into Doctor Who. Except that one season when Christopher Eccleston was the Doctor.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Melanie! You’re right, everyone does have their own Doctor. Tom Baker was the Doctor for about seven years, making it very difficult for the next Doctor, Peter Davison, to be accepted by the fans. I like them all, and David Tennant was delightful in the role.

I hope you get hold of this particular download!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Guillaume! So, have you ever seen the Classic series or only New Who?