Search This Blog

Friday, May 01, 2020

On Unearthing Some Buried Treasures On My Shelves

These days I spend half the week looking after my mother. There are still shelves and shelves of my old books, from when I was living at home, and I browse through them to see what is there to tempt me to reread and take them home. 

In the last week I have fond some treasures hidden in those shelves, no fewer than six books by Geoffrey Trease, three of them today. Also... one by Nicholas Stuart Gray, of which more in a future post.

So, who was Geoffrey Trease? He was a children’s and YA historical novelist, who wrote about periods ranging from Ancient Greece to the 19th century. I believe he also wrote for adults, but I’ve only read his books aimed at young readers. I know I have more, hidden away. For the moment, these six will do.

I have just finished rereading Popinjay Stairs, set in the London of Charles II, involving a hunt for some stolen papers of Samuel Pepys, who is working for the Navy at the time. There is a young naval officer and also a girl who is having to write her very good Restoration comedies under a male pen name. This book must have been the first time I came across the name Aphra Behn, about whom I was later to write in my children’s book Your Cat Could Be A Spy. She would have been around at the time this story is set, and gets a mention.

Here is the book I’m reading now, Follow My Black Plume, about an English boy in Italy at the time of Garibaldi. 



Here are the three I found today - the Middle Ages, Napoleonic era and Russia in the time of Nicholas I. 




The book waiting for me at home is his first, Bows Against The Barons, a left-wing interpretation of the story of Robin Hood. The young hero joins Robin’s band when Robin is already getting old. At this time in his life, Robin Hood is planning to lead the poor in a rebellion. As far as he is concerned, it’s not about Saxons versus Normans but about poor versus rich. I once attended a talk by someone who showed us one of the original illustrations from the book. Robin is making a speech to a huge crowd, who are carrying their tools, including...a crossed hammer and sickle! I was disappointed to flip through the pages of my copy of the Puffin edition and find that picture was missing. Oh, well, maybe too left wing for those publishers...

One of my favourites is Cue For Treason, which I managed to find in audiobook, read by Clive Mantle, who played Little John in Robin Of Sherwood, and has a delightful reading voice. That one is set in Elizabethan England. Two teenagers run away to London, where they get jobs in Shakespeare’s company, as boy actors. The thing is, one of them is a girl, disguised as a boy. Both she and the boy protagonist are on the run from the same person, the novel’s villain. Shakespeare picks up pretty quickly that one of the company’s new boy actors is female, but keeps quiet about it. There is a plot against the Queen which, of course, our two protagonists help stop.

Although Trease’s books are seen from the viewpoint of a male character, there is usually at least one strong female character. 

A wonderful writer! 

If you want to read someone who has, in recent years, begun writing children’s books which have a flavour of Geoffrey Trease, I recommend Aussie author Felice Arena. Felice Arena is best known for his series of novels about a young football player, Specky Magee, but has done three, so far, historical novels for children, The Boy And The Spy, Fearless Frederic and A Great Escape. They are all set in important eras of history, although, unlike Geoffrey Trease, Felice Arena’s characters are fictional ones affected by whatever big historical events are happening around them: World War II(in Sicily), Paris during a flood that happened early in the 20th century and the beginning of the Berlin Wall. And they all have a strong female character interacting with the hero.

This author is doing a huge variety of books, so who knows when he will write another historical novel?

I do hope he does; he is Australia’s answer to Geoffrey Trease, whom I miss. 









20 comments:

Hels said...

Going back into childhood books, music, art, letters and photos is an interesting experience. Depending on what we locate, we might find we were intelligent, sensitive kids who listened to our parents and teachers. Or right wing snots who should have paid more attention to caring adults.

For example, I found two Ayn Rand novels in my old bookcase. How embarrassing :(

Sue Bursztynski said...

Oh, dear, that IS embarrassing! 😂 FWIW, I read Anthem when I was about 13. I just thought it was a science fiction book.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I read "Cue for Treason" when I was a kid and enjoyed it very much! I don't think my local library had any other of his books or I would have read them too. I adored historical fiction in those days.

Brian Joseph said...

Finding old books on the shelf is very neat. Actually reading them is even neater. Unlike many things in life, books do not actually wear. The physical book may deteriorate, but the content stays the same.

Guillaume said...

I love to find old lost books on my shelves. Or, more often than none, on my parents' shelves when I go home on holidays.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Debra! I still haven’t found my print copy of Cue For Treason and very few are available in ebook right now, so I bought it in audiobook and let Clive read it to me. I do hope you find some more, though none of us will find much print stuff till the libraries re-open.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Brian! What is nice about my rereading is that they are not disappointing me; sometimes a book you loved as a child hasn’t aged well.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Guillaume! Yes, I discovered these on the shelves in my old room. Mind you, I have so many books I have bought over the years since I moved out, I’m having some pleasant discoveries at home too.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sue - what fun ... I'll have to look into Geoffrey Trease's books and hopefully find one to read somewhere. Just the sort of thing to give us that history background. I've kept some of my Ma's books ... and am going to go through them to see what is worth keeping/reading ... before they hit the charity shop anon. Thanks for these ideas - I'll be looking out for them in a year or so - when we're released.

Enjoy these last times with your mother ... precious ones ... I had 5+ years ... not easy, but so worth it - good luck and stay safe - Hilary

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Hilary! I do hope you find some Geoffrey Trease books! You may find them in a secondhand shop when all this is over. They are classics and well worth a read.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Desperately sadly another place burnt down - or was set fire to ... our very good 2nd hand bookshop - so not sure what they'll be doing once this scenario is over ... and a degree of freedom returns. I guess I could write about it and put some book ideas in to the post ... ie mostly about books ... I'll see! Just about to go our for a walk in some fresh (cold) May sunshine ... take care - Hilary

Roland Clarke said...

I remember reading some Geoffrey Trease novels in my childhood, and he's remained one of the authors I associate with my discovery of the magic of books - along with C S Lewis, Alan Garner, and in my teens Tolkien. I also remember reading G A Henty's historical fiction, although his version of history was suspect. Maybe I need to assess which of the books you recommend might suit my step-grand-kids - when I've encouraged them to read the new IWSG Anthology, Voyagers: The Third Ghost: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50364415-voyagers

Sue Bursztynski said...

Oh, dear, Hilary! A burnt down bookshop! I wonder how many wonderful, comforting books will now never bring joy to readers... Not to mention the person whose business is gone.

I hope you had a lovely walk. It has been pouring in Melbourne for the last few days - we’ve had more rain in the first four months of 2020 than the whole of last year! With luck I can wrap up and walk today.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Roland, you have named some of my favourite authors, though I haven’t read Henty (heard if, not read). How old are your step-grandkids? Good readers?

Roland Clarke said...

The kids vary from three to twenty, but the ones who might read are 8-12 - but they are more interested in electronic devices, and I don't mean Kindles. Getting any of my family to read is a challenge, whatever age they are. I feel depressed about passing my love of books on. I wonder who will ever read my collection of books, which includes a few printed in the late 19th century - inherited from a great aunt. My ex will take some although she's back in the UK, so maybe a local library.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Sorry to hear that, Roland. As a librarian, I have always said to kids who told me they hated reading that this was because they hadn’t yet found the right book for them. I still remember the joy I felt when I heard one of these opening a book I’d recommended when she told me she was under orders from home to read something - and heard her start to laugh and call out to her friends, “Hey, this is great!”

I know it’s hard to turn a non reader into a reader, but one of my lunchtime book club members who was also in my English class told me she had been strictly a sports girl till Year 5, when she read her very first book, Twilight. Who knew that series would turn a non reader into a passionate book lover? So cheer up, your little ones might still get there. Try some non fiction to start. Kids like to read stuff that’s true.

A latte beckons said...

I'm hanging out for David Stuart Gray -- is it Down in the Cellar? One of my very favourite books. I have been looking for his other titles but never managed to find one.

Sue Bursztynski said...

I do hope you find your copy, Kate! I was thrilled to find mine - I forgot I had it, as I’d borrowed it originally from a friend. It IS mine, though - hers had a different cover and was hardback.

AJ Blythe said...

Sometimes diving in to an old treasured book is so disheartening because we've become conditioned to what today's society reflects, and those old beliefs and attitudes just fall flat today. It's happened a couple of times to me and it makes me a little anxious about trying again.

Sue Bursztynski said...

So true that not all books age well! But I think these ones are fine. They’re classics.