Search This Blog

Monday, April 20, 2020

A To Z Blogging Challenge 2020: R Is For... Dame Ragnell!

R is for Dame Ragnell, the wife of Sir Gawain and the only woman he ever loved. Their story is told in a couple of poems, The Marriage Of Sir Gawain and The Wedding of  Gawain and Ragnell. There is at least one Arthurian telemovie that features the story, Merlin And The Sword

Gawain and the Loathly Lady. Public Domain


The Loathly Lady - which Ragnell is - is a motif in Stith Thompson’s motif index. She turns up in one of the Child ballads, King Henry, sung here beautifully by Steeleye Span.

Basically, she is a terribly ugly woman under a spell until a man marries her despite her ugliness - a bit like a reverse Beauty And The Beast. She turns up in a lot of different folklores, including Irish and Norse. I have a soft spot for King Henry, by the way, because this particular Loathly Lady turns up in a story by the wonderful Lois McMaster Bujold, Labyrinth. In the ballad, young King Henry is hunting and stops for the night at a “haunted hall” where a ferocious female monster demands of him food(his horse, hounds and hawks) drink and finally himself as a husband. In the morning, the spell is broken and she is a beautiful girl. 

In the Bujold story, her hero Miles Vorkosigan finds himself locked up with a young woman who is a genetically engineered super soldier, from an experiment that failed. She is very tall and has fangs. She demands of him food, drink and himself (to prove he considers her human). He gives her a ration bar in his pocket, all he has, finds water for her from a pipe above their prison, and makes love to her, with sympathy and kindness, not because he has no choice. They escape together and he recruits her for his mercenary fleet. She never turns magically into a regular looking human, but cleans up well in her own way. See? If this wasn’t based on King Henry, it should be! 

So, Ragnell. She is a woman under a spell. King Arthur is hunting,  when he meets a terrible knight who demands, in exchange for his life, that he answers the question, “What do women really want most?”  His nephew helps him do the research and finally, they find an ugly, ugly hag who says she can answer the question - in exchange for Gawain as a husband. Gawain agrees. The answer turns out to be that what women want most is sovereignty, to have their own way. Nobody can argue with that. Why shouldn’t you? 

So, he marries her. They are in the bedroom. She offers him the choice - beautiful by day, ugly by night, or the other way around? And Gawain gives her the choice; after all, she is the one who will suffer if he makes the wrong choice. Boom! The spell is broken. A beautiful girl is before him and she announces that she will be beautiful by day and night. 

If you’ve read Chaucer, you might find this story familiar. That’s because it’s in the Wife Of Bath’s Tale in The Canterbury Tales, except it’s not Gawain, it’s an unnamed knight who is in trouble for rape. Fortunately for him, he is the pet of the ladies of Camelot, so he gets time to find out the answer. On the wedding night, he cringes at his wife, who offers him the choice between ugly and faithful or beautiful and adulterous. Meekly, he lets her choose and once it’s clear who gets to make the decisions in that family, she says she  will be beautiful and faithful. 

This was written before the story of Gawain and Ragnell and there is a theory that the Gawain story might have been inspired by it and been tongue in cheek. The later tale might even have been written by Malory! 

Personally, I think the Gawain version shows us a Gawain like the decent young man of Gawain And The Green Knight, but if it was written by Malory, you can completely understand that the man who wrote such enthusiastic sports stories about Lancelot, Tristram and the others might well have thought a story about love was hilarious. (Maybe a mediaeval rom com?)

The story shown in Merlin And The Sword is rather sweet. Gawain has met the cursed young woman before, and had help from her in a quest. Really, she just has a pig’s snout, nothing else, not a hag. But he approaches the King and Queen to announce he wants to marry Ragnell. They are shocked, ask him if he needs help, is there a reason he has to marry her.  No, he says, he just loves her. He wants to marry her. And they go down the aisle and when he kisses her, the curse is broken. She is beautiful! Even if she wasn’t, they would still have been happy, because, like Beauty in Beauty And The Beast, he loves her for who she is, not her looks. Mind you, I do wonder what would have happened if she had been a hag. 

Not a very good film, though it had a fine cast(Malcolm McDowell as Arthur, Rupert Everett as Lancelot, Edward Woodward as Merlin), but I liked that it included this story. 

Ragnell does  appear in modern fiction, but I can’t remember where I have read about her outside of mediaeval literature. I just have. 

She appears in my as-yet-unpublished novella A Matter Of Honour, some years after the Green Knight adventure. If you want to find out more, I’m still offering a free copy of the story in ebook till I find a market for it. Email me. Contact details are on this site. 

Tomorrow, Sagramore, Safir and Segwarides. The last two are the brothers of Palomides. 


See you then! 

15 comments:

AJ Blythe said...

I like Gawain. I like the name and the story with Ragnell. I know this story, although I can't think where from. A niggling voice in the back of my head says senior English, but I can't be sure (although that would make sense).

Sue Bursztynski said...

Did you, perhaps, do Chaucer in senior English? That version is the best known.

A Tarkabarka Hölgy said...

Gerald Morris also features her in the Squire's Tale books :)
I LOVE to tell this story! Especially to teenagers! :)

The Multicolored Diary

Brian Joseph said...

It is striking how many universal themes, that we still wrestle with today are contained in these tales. The nature of beauty and gender relations are two of the topics that come to mind.

Tasha Duncan-Drake said...

I like the Gawain story with Ragnell, he seems like a good bloke. :D Your ruminations on why Mallory would find it amusing made me smile.
I really should read some Chaucer, after all I live less than five miles from Canterbury ;).
I like the fact that Ragnell is all about female agency.
Tasha 💖
Virginia's Parlour - The Manor (Adult concepts - nothing explicit in posts)
Tasha's Thinkings - Vampire Drabbles

Sue Bursztynski said...

Zalka, I’d LOVE to attend one of your story tellings, if you ever do one in please record it!

Brian, absolutely! The fact that the Loathly Lady can be used in a future-based science fiction story says that. I have also read a science fictional version of the story of the hound Gelert.

Tasha, I think if Malory was around now, he’d be a football and cricket fan, writing on social media about the last game and his favourite players. What? You live near Canterbury and never read Chaucer? Go away and read the Canterbury Tales RIGHT NOW! At least the Prologue and the Wife of Bath’s Tale.

AJ Blythe said...

Nope, never done Chaucer. Argh, that's going to bug me, lol.

Sue Bursztynski said...

I’m sure you will remember it in the middle of the night! 😂

Sue Bursztynski said...

I’m sure you will remember where you have read it, Stuart! Let me know when you do. I would be very surprised if Canterbury Tales was not on Gutenberg.

Anne E.G. Nydam said...

I would argue that what women really want (or maybe I'm just speaking for myself) is not sovereignty but RESPECT! I think it's the men who are terrified that we want to rule them, which is why they feel the need to oppress us in perceived self-defense, and write stories about how crazy it would be if women ruled the world. Feminist screeds aside, though, I'm a sucker for a good romance, and I say any way their relationship works that makes them happy is fine by me! =)

Sue Bursztynski said...

Fair enough, Anne! But in the case of the Wife of Bath’s Tale, it’s a story told by a woman who has had five husbands and has no time for male nonsense(she threw something at the husband who annoyed her with reading out sexist books). The knight in the story - not Gawain - has committed rape and is getting better than he deserves...as long as he does what he is told. As for Gawain, I think he does respect her, or at least her right to make her own decision on something that will affect her.

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Makes me like Gawain even more :-)

An A-Z of Faerie: Red Caps

Sue Bursztynski said...

Same here, Ronel! I’m very fond of Gawain.

Roland Clarke said...

I'm really pleased you added that link to Steeleye Span as I've liked them for decades. I've read the Loathly Lady tale in various places, but not all those you mention. I studied the Wife of Bath's tale at school so that has to be the first version I encountered, but not the last. For me, Gawain is the noblest knight.

Sue Bursztynski said...

I have to agree wth you about Gawain, Roland. I did my Honours thesis on Arthur, but Gawain is my favourite knight. He has flaws that make him human.

I discovered Steeleye Span - and Pentangle too - early in my university years and still adore them. I was lucky enough to see them perform in Melbourne when they got together for a tour one year. Someone in the audience yelled, “You’re a bonzer sheila, Maddy Prior!” She is too. They performed at lunchtime in a music shop and I got to exchange some words with the lady, bless her, so nice!