Search This Blog

Sunday, April 19, 2020

A To Z Blogging Challenge 2020: Q Is For ... Questing Beast!

Q is for Questing Beast... 

Arthur Rackham. Public Domain.

And I have a confession to make. I first encountered this creature in an episode of Lost In Space. Nothing wrong with that, as I know as an adult. When I was a child, I discovered that the story of Cinderella’s slipper started in ancient Egypt, not in a book or an educational magazine but in a Superboy comic(another comic told me Nero’s full name). When  my Grade 4 teacher, Mr Savage, started to tell us the story, I said, “Oh, yes, I know that!” and finished it. “Why, yes!” said Mr Savage. “How did you know that?” I suddenly found something on the floor to look at... Now? Whatever the source of information is, the information is still the same.

So, the Questing Beast and Lost In Space. An elderly knight in armour, accompanied by his small, gentle dog, arrives on the Space Family Robinson’s planet, searching for the Questing Beast, something he has been doing for a very long time. Then he discovers that the Beast is a female and decides sadly that he really can’t hunt a girl. The Beast, who speaks, realises this hunting makes him happy, so says, “You can’t catch me!” and allows him to happily chase her. 

I rather think this version must have been inspired by The Once And Future King. The first time we meet King Pellinore in that novel, he is fumbling and dropping things in the forest, while his brachet(a type of dog) is tied to a tree because its leash has gotten all tangled up. He tells the Wart(young Arthur) that hunting the Beast is the Burden of the Pellinores. (And yes, she is female.)

This may be so, but it is also Palomides who must hunt it. In Malory, it’s after Pellinore’s death. In White’s novel, it’s when Pellinore gets married. 

So, what is the Beast? It’s a creature with the head of a serpent, body of a leopard, feet of a hart and haunches of a lion. It sounds very much like a heraldic animal to me, but there you are. Interestingly, at least part of it - the spotty bit? - is based on the giraffe, which was known in the Middle Ages as a cameleopard. But I can’t imagine someone chasing a giraffe through the forest! 

The Beast makes a sound like “thirty couple of hounds questing” , which gives it the alternative name of “Beast Glatisant” (Barking Beast). 

Oddly, the first time we hear of it in Malory is not in connection to Pellinore, but when Arthur sees it in the forest while hunting. (Hunting, usually of a white hart - does seem to be the way that he - or one of his best knights - gets to encounter a strange beast) It gallops past, stops for a drink and continues on. Pellinore arrives on foot, having killed his horse chasing old Glatisant, and grabs Arthur’s horse to continue the chase, while Arthur protests that he wants the quest. Pellinore says only he or a close relative can catch it and charges off on Arthur’s horse
Arthur and the Beast. Public Domain.


Arthur has recently slept, unwittingly, with his half sister Morgause, begetting Mordred, and I wondered, reading it, whether there was a connection. 

It is good, though, to see one of the few quirky creatures in Arthurian romance because, despite all those visions we get of Arthurian knights slaying dragons and such, there really aren’t too many of them around, and where they do appear, it’s often in visions and dreams, as symbols. Usually, a knight encounters a lion or a serpent, mysterious but actual animals. 

I will be talking about the various creatures which do appear, whether in dreams or as part of the quest, in my Z post, under “Zoology.”  


So, if you had a quest, what critter would you like to pursue? 

18 comments:

Liam said...

Pellinore and the Questing Beast are among my favorite things in T.H. White's version. Thanks for filling in the past history of the story, as I don't remember it from Mallory at all.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Thanks, Liam! The Beast just wanders in and out of Malory, so is easy to forget. But it’s there.

AJ Blythe said...

I've heard of questing beast but I can't think where. Obviously in something odd, like a comic, because my vague memory is definitely not linking it to Arthurian stories.

Sue Bursztynski said...

You never know where these characters will turn up. As I said, I first came across the Beast in Lost In Space!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sue - I too know of 'a questing beast' - but where from is another matter. But if I was a questing beast with some giraffe genes ... I really wouldn't want to be dashing around a forest ... I'd be bashed up too much! Interesting mix of animals ... take care and I'm looking forward to 'Z' and your zoo take ... all the best - Hilary

Sue Bursztynski said...

Thanks, Hilary! Just imagine what it would be like to have to admit that the Burden of your family was chasing a giraffe! ๐Ÿ˜‚

A Tarkabarka Hรถlgy said...

We once encountered a Questing Beast in a D&D adventure. We fought it and defeated it, and we turned it into a Questing Feast... :D

The Multicolored Diary

Sue Bursztynski said...

Ooh, cheeky! What had that poor animal ever done to you? (Or had it? That snake head...) ๐Ÿ˜‚

Melanie said...

Isn't always the way that you stumble across the origins of something you've always thought was the domain of something else? I too also came across the Questing Beasts in D&D and didn't think to check if it had it's origins elsewhere! I'm always so quick to spot it if it has Greek mythology roots.

You've also just learnt that a cameleopard is a giraffe which is a connection I never made *facepalm* I'd assumed it was just its own thing!! XD Learning so much from this series.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Melanie! Yes, D and D uses a lot of stuff from different types of folklore and myth. Mind you, I always thought of it as a board game version of all those heroic fantasies I was always reading, but then, thry were using existing stuff. I haven’t played in years!

I think the cameleopard thing was because it was tall like a camel, with long neck, but had spots like a leopard.

Glad you are enjoying! I’m having fun too,

Anne E.G. Nydam said...

My favorite thing about the questing beast is that it really seems very mild-mannered for a monster - I love your description of the Lost in Space version, which I have never seen. I think its internal barking noise must really be its monstrous version of purring. Of course the flip side of its being relatively harmless is that, like the white hart, I don't know why it has to be hunted. It's just that as soon as a knight sees anything interesting, their first reaction is to hunt and kill. Arthurian knights are really just large, overactive hounds in armor when you think about it --- "Squirrel!"

Sue Bursztynski said...

I’d agree with you about the knights - half the adventures begin with the hero following a mysterious Otherworldly beast and finding himself led to a barge which carries him to the Otherworld, or the Aholy Grail, or whatever. They are just great big children. I think Mark Twain describes their behaviour to each other as two boys meeting and saying, “bet I can lick you!” and getting on with it.

The cute Beast is, I suspect, due to modern treatments, such as T.H White’s. In fact, the mediaeval version was demonic, and ends up being caught and killed, though not in Malory.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The pursuit of the Questing Beast is one of my favourite bits in "The Once and Future King." Thanks for this post!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Yes, Glatisant is a lot of fun in that novel. Glad you enjoyed!

Roland Clarke said...

I'm another fan of the Questing Beast in T.H. White's book, in fact one of the most memorable. But why do I have this image of it as Terry Gilliam's best - which is actually the Jabberwock? But the Questing beast didn't come 'whiffling through the tulgey wood', or 'burbled as it came'. Or did it?

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Roland! No, burbling would be rather too soft a sound for a creature that makes a noise like thirty couple of hounds! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Awesome that the Questing Beast is female!

An A-Z of Faerie: Banshee

Sue Bursztynski said...

Only in modern fiction, Ronel! I don’t think you get a gender in the mediaeval stories.