Search This Blog

Sunday, July 28, 2019

Book Blogger Hop - On Carrying A Book With You

This week’s Hop asks if you always carry a book with you.

Well... yes. Always. In fact, several hundred books now, that I have my trusty iPad with its Apple Books app and the Kindle app I added when we were beginning an iPad program at my school, as the kids’ iPads all had that, and I wanted to help them use it.

I travel by public transport. Before I had my ebook apps, I had to stick to books that were not too thick or heavy, and absolutely no hardcovers.

But even now, I usually take a print book, in case my battery runs low. The one currently in my tote bag is Lois McMaster Bujold’s Miles Vorkosigan novel The Warrior’s Apprentice, in which teenage Miles convinces a bunch of hardened space mercenaries that he is the leader of a nonexistent army, the Dendarii Mercenaries, and makes it real by taking over their army. I’ve read it enough times that I may need to buy the ebook to keep it from falling apart.

My newest book, Harry Turtledove’s Alpha And Omega, is hardcover, so has to be left at home. I did take that with me for a while, in my knitting bag...

Just so you know, there is no room in my home that doesn’t have books in it, including the smallest room! (Where I am currently rereading Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire). If I can’t be without a book at home, why would I go out without one? 

6 comments:

Melanie said...

I always have a book with me when I’m out and usually to two! Unfortunately I never got into e-books which is a real shame because I’d love to carry a library with me 😆

Sue Bursztynski said...

An ebook reader is the only way to carry a library with you. 😂 Maybe you will finally give in and try it out...

AJ Blythe said...

I don't always have a book with me (I guess I could download them to my phone but I hate reading on that). I can't always carry my kindle with me, but if I know I will have to wait anywhere (or potentially wait) I will have a book or kindle with me.

Sue Bursztynski said...

I carry my iPad, which is heavier than my phone, but worth it, as I can write as well. On the odd occasion when I can’t take my iPad, I do read on my phone, which is quite small, but also take a print book.

Brian Joseph said...

This is a very interesting topic. I tend to read mostly ebooks but I tend to not bring them around much. I tend to be places where my opportunity to read is limited. I would not worry that much about damaging or losing a device, but with so few chances of reading anyway, the risk becomes a consideration. I had a very old Kindle that I used to bring to the beach but it finally conked out.

There are books all over my house too.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Brian! I guess it depends how you get where you’re going. I don’t drive. If I have to spend an hour or more travelling to work or wherever, I want a book with me.