Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

On Re-Viewing The Hate U Give

A while back, I read The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, which was one of the few bestselling YA novels I’ve read which I thought worth the hype. Here is my review of the book. When I heard that a film was being made, I became very excited. So was the author, for that matter, chattering about it on Twitter, so I believed - correctly - that if the author was happy with the film, it was probably going to be good.

We didn’t get it here till  February this year, while the US got it in October last year. My great-niece Dezzy had also read the book and loved it, so we decided to see it together, but after all that time I forgot and went in my own soon after it opened. So, when we went to see it together at my local cinema, it was a second viewing for me, and well worth a second look.

In case you have missed the hype, the story is set in a small town where African-American teenager Starr Carter lives with her parents, her half brother Seven and her little brother. She studies at an expensive private school where she is “Starr 2” and is somebody else at home. One night, at a party, a fight breaks out and Starr gets a lift home from her childhood friend Khalil, who is shot dead by a policeman who pulls them over on the road. Khalil isn’t the first friend Starr has seen die and the rest of the story involves trying to get justice for Khalil, while suffering PTSD herself.

The role of Starr is played by Amandla Stenberg, whom I last saw as the child Rue, killed in The Hunger Games - another YA bestseller I thought worth the hype, by the way!  She was well cast, I thought, and played the role with great passion and heart.  Her father was played by zrussell Hornsby, also wonderful in his role of the wise father who has come up from drug dealing to a family man who thinks nothing is worth risking his wife and children for.

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to have turned up on this year’s Oscars short list for anything.  What a shame!


8 comments:

Cathy Kennedy said...

Sue,

Oh, that's a sad story! I hate reading or watching movies depicting racial issues. Things have improved but it's not purrfect. It never will be, either. That's just the sad truth because humans fail to live by the golden rule of treating others the way they want to be treated. If we followed that simple rule then how can racial issues thrive or any other divisions? We'd be at peace with one another always. Thanks for sharing and for visiting today!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Cathy! Yees, such a simple rule and so few people follow it. The problem is that too many people think that they are not getting enough of the pie and it’s someone else’s fault. And that it will make things better if they hurt or kill a member of that group, any member.

Brian Joseph said...

I would like to at least see the film. The book seems well worth the read too. Unfortunately, I had to pass on joining a in on a read along of the book as I was a bit too busy when it was going on.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Film and book are both worth the time. Probably better to read the book first if you think you might want to read it some time.

Jenny said...

I'm so far behind on YA bestsellers! It irks me, because I know I'm missing some great books!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Jenny! There are plenty of books we all miss. I am always reading discussions about books and authors I’ve never heard of. You just have to read what excites you. 🙂

AJ Blythe said...

I didn't even know they'd made a film. Had heard of the book but not really my thing. Sounds too sad and I like my books to be escapism. Although loved the Hunger Games.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Well, The Hunger Games, like many other YA dystopians, suggested it’s possible to save the world, which I think is pretty optimistic. The Hate U Give is a wonderful book, but perhaps you would consider just seeing the film, which is a lesser investment of time, if you aren’t sure you want a sad story. It’s also inspiring, and it even stars one of the cast of The Hunger Games!