Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2016

Currently Re-reading ... Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban - And Kids Reading Ahead

Just a short post. I took this one off my shelves on an impulse. Heaven knows how many times I've read and re-read the series. This one is the last of the series in which nobody dies.

I'm thinking of this because my nephew's little boy,. Eden, who has just started his second year of primary school, Year 1, about to turn seven. He is currently reading A Series Of Unfortunate Events, but there's a copy of Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone awaiting him when he's ready, a gift from his great aunt Jill. I don't think he will have any problem with that one - he is already a passionate reader who reads himself bedtime stories at night(his Dad tells him and his brother stories off the top of his head). He might even manage Chamber Of Secrets and perhaps Prisoner.

After that - who knows? The series was written with the idea that children would grow up with the books. But now that the whole series is out, the books will be kept together on library shelves. You can't tell kids not to read the lot. I should mention I have seen a little girl of about eight or nine clutching a copy of Order Of The Phoenix. I guess kids will read what they can handle - and I've taught students who read Lord Of The Rings before they were out of primary school. Not The Hobbit - Lord Of The Rings! And loved it. I had to find them adult books to read, because YA just wouldn't do.

I'm thinking that Eden could probably handle Harry Potter up to Prisoner Of Azkaban before becoming distracted. In a year or two I will be presenting him with a copy of The Hobbit.

Or maybe Lord Of The Rings?

No comments: