Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 22, 2021

A Student’s Success!

 The other day I had an email from a former student, a member of my lunchtime library book club. She is multi talented - singing, acting, folk dance, figure skating, writing, drawing and more. But she and her mother have no money.


As such, she was eligible for the Western Chances scholarship, a scholarship for bright but disadvantaged teens in the western suburbs of Melbourne. 


When she was in Year 8, I heard her singing on the way to class. The song was the Queen of the Night aria from Mozart’s Magic Flute. Not only did she know the aria, she knew what it was about. I think she must have learned a lot from her mother.


I knew her well, but it hadn’t occurred to me to check if she was eligible. Well, I had, but the office lady, who kept records for kids claiming the Camps and Excursions Fund, for kids with low income families, said she hadn’t applied, so was probably not eligible. But when I asked the girl, she said they had forgotten to apply due to difficult distractions. 


I managed to apply for Western Chances though it was past the deadline, and was given a week to get my application in. I remember inviting her to hit the “send” button. She had no problem getting the scholarship.


Now she is finishing her time at the Victorian College of the Arts secondary school, with classes at NIDA, Australia’s top actor training institute (quite a few big names studied there, including Mel Gibson)and the National Theatre. She asked me if I’d like to go to her final class performance of The Master And Margarita. (The tickets were sold out, but I was able to get one for the streaming performance)





She also thanked me for getting her that scholarship which had helped her do all those things. 


My little student, now a young woman, is going to be an actor! I am so very proud of her. 


She absolutely deserved that scholarship, but nice to be thanked, always. 


One lovely thing about being a teacher is seeing how what you did worked out. And even if the kids don’t go on to be actors or even professionals, when they are happy to see you it tells you that you succeeded. 


If you live in Australia and are interested in seeing the show on line, here is the link. 


https://vcasspresents.5stream.com/?fbclid=IwAR2A38KodyXSrtUwhS0Nh2LpJOr1s8pjdHmPYIEADeciysn4j86IRPmhWtY#/play/72113


I will be talking about the show after I’ve seen it.

8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That's so great! It must be very gratifying for you to see her off to such a good start. And kudos to you for facilitating her application for that scholarship.

Hels said...

Well done, you :) Your former student was clearly talented in her own right, but talent by itself is sometimes not enough to do very well in a chosen career. In fact we all needed mentors back in the day, and are still very grateful to the teachers/lecturer/youth group leaders who extended themselves.

Guillaume said...

She was already well educated if she could sing the Queen of the Night aria. That can be a soprano's killer! I am a big fan of Mozart and of The Magic Flute.

AJ Blythe said...

I think hearing from students years on is the best reward a teacher can have. But I This shows both the calibre of her as a person, and that you were an awesome teacher. Congratulations to you both.

Liz Hinds said...

That is so lovely. Good teachers are often under-appreciated.

James Pailly said...

Wow, that's great that you were able to help that person. It's too easy for people who are struggling to get lost in the system. You did some real good there!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sue - this is wonderful to read about in today's age - I'm so pleased she thoughtfully thanked you and mentioned the performance. Also it must be the epitome of an achievement for a teacher ... congratulations to you and to your student - she will go far. Cheers Hilary

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi guys!

Yes, Debra, it’s wonderful to feel you have made a difference to a child’s life. Teaching is good like that.

Hi Hels! Yes, it was precisely because she was so talented that I could help her. Western Chances is for kids who are gifted, but don’t have the money to be able to afford to go in the direction they want. A few hundred dollars a year makes all the difference.

Thanks, Anita! She is a special young woman! I’m glad I could help. One day I will see her on the screen and say, “I knew her way back when!”

Thanks, Liz! Oh, the administration may not appreciate teachers, but the kids do! 🙂

Thanks, James! I’m just thrilled for her. The scholarship made just that much difference to her. She would have done well anyway, just not had the chance to do some of the exciting things she did.

Hi Guillaume! The young lady lived with a cultured mother who couldn’t get work here, so poor, but cultured. I can imagine they watched these things together and discussed it. She was only about thirteen when I heard her singing Mozart!

Hi Hilary! Teaching really makes a difference- a rewarding career in that respect!