Search This Blog

Monday, March 29, 2021

Intro to A To Z 2021: The Greek Myths

 



Just a brief intro to my planned month of posts on Greek myths. I knew that X wouldn’t be a problem this time, but there were other letters that were, eg F and W, so I have found other ways to use them. 


For the same reason, I’m spelling names for convenience, eg K instead of C, but only when convenient to me. Ignore - the characters are the same people. 


Where I think it’s interesting I’ve included mentions of fiction about various characters and stories based on Greek myths. I’ll include links to where you can buy them.


There are so very many interesting stories, so sometimes I’ll write about more than one character per letter, but even so, I’ll miss some. Feel free to tell me your favourites I have skipped in the comments. 


I highly recommend Robert Graves’ book The Greek Myths, which is still easily available, in ebook and print. It certainly got me interested, when I was a child(I suspect he would have been embarrassed to learn that a little girl was reading his book!). You may or may not agree with all those footnotes about Sacred Kings and Triple Goddesses, but he was thorough and he gave all the variants he knew of each myth.


See you on April 1!

8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Looking forward to it!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sue - this will be great ... I will thoroughly enjoy the read, albeit I'm not joining in the A-Z ... looking forward to your entries - and thanks for the reminder re Robert Graves' book ... cheers Hilary

TWW said...

I look forward to this.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Thanks guys! Tomorrow - “A is for Apple - golden variety”.

Ann Bennett said...

Sounds like a great A to Z at your blog. I have always enjoyed myths.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Thanks, hope you enjoy this!

David said...

It's been too long since I engaged with Greek mythology. Looking forward to reminding myself all about it!


@BreakerOfThings from
Fiction Can Be Fun
Saying hello as part of the #A2ZChallenge

James Pailly said...

I love Greek mythology! This is an awesome topic for A to Z!