Search This Blog

Saturday, January 02, 2021

Happy Birthday, Isaac Asimov!

 This was going to be a post about January 2, because it’s 2/1/21 (or, to Americans, 1/2/21, also interesting), but really, there was nothing much that interested me which happened on that day in history - in fact, only one book related event, which was Lord Byron completing Childe Harold’s Pilgrimage in 1818. 

Public Domain


But someone special was born on this day in 1920: Isaac Asimov, one of the top SF authors of all time. He was born in Russia, though he came to the US when he was three years old. It’s interesting to note that when he was only a year old, he was one of a bunch of children in his area who contracted pneumonia - and the only survivor. So, we nearly lost him before he ever started writing! 


He started reading SF when he was nine years old and made his first sale at 18, “Marooned Off Vesta”, published in Amazing Stories. 


He wrote or edited about 500 books, both fiction and non fiction. At one stage, he said his first love was non fiction, but he is best known for his fiction.


I discovered his work when I was babysitting for my sister, a passionate Asimov fan. I used to look after my toddler nephew regularly and my sister would leave me a chocolate mousse in the fridge; I’d eat it while raiding her bookshelves. To be honest, I liked his short stories best, and in later years he published some stories that had been rejected when first written. The collection was called Buy Jupiter! The title story was a humorous short piece about a visit from aliens who want to rent Jupiter as an advertising billboard for passing spaceships. In return, they offer power generators that will keep Earth going for a very long time. The offer is accepted, and the people concerned consider offering Saturn to the competition...


Of course, there were classics that are far better known. “Nightfall” was about a world where it only gets dark once in thousands of years. And when it gets dark, the stars appear. And people go crazy.





If you haven’t heard of his robot stories, you will pretty certainly know about his Laws of Robotics, which have become so well known that other science fiction works have used them without necessarily knowing who created them. 


They are: 



1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.


2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.


3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.


His short story “The Bicentennial Man”(which I read and loved) was developed into a novel, which then became a movie, with Robin Williams as a robot who wants to be human, even though it will cost him his immortality. It was a lovely film; if you haven’t seen it, I do recommend it. 





Probably his most famous work was the Foundation series. I have the first one in ebook and am rereading it before the TV miniseries comes out, later this year, I believe. The trailers look fantastic, though I see that some characters who were originally male have been changed to female. 


I also own a recording of the Foundation story “The Psychohistorians”. It was a gift from a friend, and the story is read by William Shatner. 


Asimov was a Star Trek fan. He said that where it erred, it did so intelligently. I also have a recording of him talking with Gene Roddenberry, saying that.


One Asimov quirk was that this author of all those stories set in a far time with spaceflight  was afraid of flying! He did travel by ship, something he couldn’t do today, except on a cruise.


Anyway, happy birthday, Isaac Asimov! 


 




8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

He probably did more to popularize science fiction than any other author. Everyone has heard of Isaac Asimov!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Thanks, Debra, he absolutely did, and as you say, everyone has heard of him, even if they don’t read SF or fantasy.

Brian Joseph said...

Nice post.

When I was a teen Asimov was probably my favorite writer. I have read most of his fiction.

HR had so much worthwhile to say on so many subjects.

I am looking forward to the upcoming Foundation miniseries.

Hels said...

Robots would make me feel queasy and keep me awake at night. But Asimov was so widely talented, there were plenty of books I enjoyed. In What's in a Name?, the detective examining a strange death at Carmody, was in just the type of university environment I loved.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Brian! Oh, I am very much looking forward to Foundation! Assuming I can access it, anyway. What on earth is Apple TV +? Apple TV, yes, but ... +?

Hi Hels! Have you read “The Immortal Bard”? The one where Shakespeare is brought forward in time, enrols for a Shakespeare university course and fails? And I just bet he would, too! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Guillaume said...

I must confess, I never read him.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Perhaps you might read him some time in the future. Or not. Plenty of good stuff to read! It’s just that this author has influenced a lot of others.

AJ Blythe said...

I have to say, if I lived in his lifetime, I may have been fearful of flying as well!