Search This Blog

Saturday, September 22, 2018

Book Blogger Hop: One Book At A Time Or Multiple Books?

This weeek’s Book Blogger Hop asks if you’re reading one book at a time or more than one.

Anyone doing a book blog is likely to be reading many more than one. Firstly, if you have to review a book, you are likely to be reviewing more than one, if you want to stay up to date. Secondly, if you’re a passionate booklover, it’s just too hard to stick to one.

In my case, it’s definitely multiple books, especially since I got my iPad and iBooks. I just can’t defer gratification any more. A book that interests me can be downloaded immediately instead of having to wait till I get to the bookshop. Besides, it means carrying a whole library with me and happily wondering what I’ll read over lunch or dinner or on the train...

There’s a massive TBR pile of review books, which is why I’m not currently taking anything apart from regular publishers I deal with.

There is my cleanup, which I’ve been doing since earlier this year, when I became a free woman getting a very good superannuation pension. During my sorting and throwing out, donation and recycling, I’ve unearthed books I’d forgotten I had. Putting those already read on the shelves, I’ve discovered others I never got around to reading and started finally getting stuck into them. I finished Susan Cooper’s Green Boy yesterday, soon after John Flanagan’s Ranger’s Apprentice: The Lost Tales. Time now to get stuck into the first of the prequels, Tournament At Gorlan, which follows on immediately from a story in Lost Tales. I began yesterday. I’ve finally begun Joe Haldeman’s The Hemingway Hoax, which has been sitting on my shelves for years. The Chronicles Of Narnia is sitting in my smallest room. I’m halfway through The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe, trying to decide if I might skip over The Horse And His Boy, my least favourite of the series.

Bedtime is for comfort reading. That means stuff I’ve already read, preferably many times. It soothes and it means I can close the book without wondering how it’s going to end. Harry Potter. Kerry Greenwood’s crime fiction. Terry Pratchett. And some non fiction, history for preference.

What am I saying here? If I did it one book at a time, I’d be reading for the rest of my life and still not be finished with what I have, let alone other books. So many books, way too little time...

4 comments:

AJ Blythe said...

I'm currently reading 4 fiction and 2 non-fiction. And I have a scary number in my TBR pile (in the many hundreds). *sigh* There is just not enough time to read them all (at the moment anyway). I don't think I'll suffer when we eventually become empty nesters (a number of years off) because I will finally have time to read =)

Sue Bursztynski said...

Ah, a fellow multiple reader! You’ll get there eventually... or maybe not, if you’re like me, because that TBR pile will just get new books added to it. All the more reason for not reading one at a time!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sue - I'm not the best reader of books - way too many other things to read. So I'm a one book person ... just finished a story about the Osage murders and start of the FBI - interesting ... I sort of paid attention - as it is about the aboriginal Osage and I'm sort of looking into the First Nations culture et al while I'm here in Canada. I would struggle to read more as I'm blogging too - cheers Hilary

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Hilary! From reading your blog posts, I’d say you’re keeping quite busy enough travelling around your new home and reading about it. Enjoy!