Search This Blog

Sunday, August 19, 2018

CBCA Winners 2018

I have a confession to make: this year I have only read two of the shortlisted books. Both were in the Older Readers. One of them won. The other didn’t even get an Honours listing, which is a pity, because it was a wonderful book. Now I will have to read the Honours books to see if I agree with the judges. I’ve interviewed authors of both books I have read - a link below to my interview with the lovely Simmone Howell about Take Three Girls, winner of this year’s Older Readers.  And since it missed out on a place on the list below, here is my interview with the delightful Vikki Wakefield, about her great novel Ballad For A Mad Girl!  If you’re like me and haven’t got around to reading them, now is the time to get cracking! 


CBCA Awards 2018 winners 

Older readers

Winner
Take Three Girls (Cath Crowley, Fiona Wood & Simmone Howell, Pan)


Honour books

Mallee Boys (Charlie Archbold, Wakefield Press)
In the Dark Spaces (Cally Black, Hardie Grant Egmont)

Younger readers

Winner            
   
How to Bee (Bren MacDibble, A&U)

Honour books   
                               
Henrietta and the Perfect Night (Martine Murray, A&U)
Marsh and Me (Martine Murray, Text)

Early childhood

Winner

Rodney Loses It (Michael Gerard Bauer, illus by Chrissie Krebs, Omnibus)

Honour books  
The Very Noisy Baby (Alison Lester, illus by Alison Lester, Affirm)
Hark, It’s Me, Ruby Lee! (Lisa Shanahan, illus by Binny, Hachette)

Picture book

Winner               
                                
A Walk in the Bush (Gwyn Perkins, Affirm)

Honour books       
           
The Great Rabbit Chase (Freya Blackwood, Scholastic)
Mopoke (Philip Bunting, Omnibus)

Eve Pownall Award for Information Books

Winner                               
Do Not Lick This Book (Idan Ben-Barak, illus by Julian Frost, A&U)

Honour books  

Left & Right (Lorna Hendry, Wild Dog Books)
Koala (Claire Saxby, illus by Julie Vivas, Walker Books)

Crichton Award for Debut Illustrator

Winner                               

Rovina Cai for Tintinnabula (Margo Lanagan, Little Hare).

2 comments:

AJ Blythe said...

CBCA - Children Book C??? Award

I'm sure I should know what it is but my brain won't put it together for me at the moment.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Children’s Book Council of Australia. 😁