Search This Blog

Monday, January 03, 2011

A Toast To The Professor!


Yesterday, January 3rd, I was sitting on the beach, re-reading Lord of The Rings and loving it as always. I remember the first time I read it. I was tired after a year's work and just wanted to go somewhere that I didn't have to go out for coffee with friends or family and lie on the beach and read. I went to Sorrento, where I stayed at the YHA. The hostel owner was trying to impress a lady who was there to work on a tourist information book by telling me all the things I could do in Sorrento and all I wanted was to get to my dorm, dump everything and take my book to the beach. After listening for a while, I interrupted as politely as I could and said thanks, but I just wanted to go lie on the beach.

I am very lucky the tide didn't come and sweep me away that day. The book sure did! Since then, I have re-read it every now and then - often on the beach - whenever I feel the need for comfort and rest. I love the fact that it suggests ordinary people can be heroes - and gives ordinary problems to the epic hero types. There aren't many women in it, but when they do appear, they're strong. Even Lobelia Sackville-Baggins turns out well in the end. (I'm a member of a Tolkien list under the name of "Lobelia"). I find myself re-reading a chapter and saying, "Oh, great, this is the fabulous chapter where Aragorn..."

And I FORGOT TOLKIEN'S BIRTHDAY! Damn!

So today I'll find a nice pub somewhere and go in to toast "the Professor" and if you haven't done so yet, please do!

4 comments:

Satima Flavell said...

Happy birthday, Professor! We who are forever in your debt salute you:-)

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hear, hear! Hmm, I do have some mead in the pantry and a tape of Tolkien reading from his work - and three CDs of the wonderful Tolkien Ensemble singing his songs.

I know how I;m spending this evening!

Rab Swannock Fulton said...

My first copy of Lord of the Rings was read so often it eventually fell to bits. My wife got me a second copy for our wedding ten years ago. Its getting a bit tatty from all the reading and rereading but this copy i'll be keeping :-)

Sue Bursztynski said...

I have several copies, actually. The first I bought when I was at university - it was the Allen and Unwin boxed set. I got it because everyone in the English faculty said, "What? You haven't read it?" That's the one I took on that beach trip. Then I decided I really needed a single-volume which I could carry everywhere. At one stage, there was a beautifully-illustrated edition with gorgeous Alan Lee art. It was going heavily discounted. Third copy! Not to mention all the copies of The Hobbit I have - one illoed by Michael Hague, one by Alan Lee, an annotated edition I got for a gift and two illustrated by Tolkien, because different editions had either four or five plates.

Keep your tatty copy, but indulge in a fresh new one as well.

Welcome to my blog, Rab! I'll be putting up a link to yours ASAP.