Search This Blog

Monday, April 01, 2024

A to Z Blogging Challenge 2024 - Villains! B is for Baba Yaga

 



When I was a small child, about five or six, our house had a back yard toilet, at the back of a narrow yard. Mum used to scare my older sister by telling her she might meet Baba Yaga if she went outside at night. Mum is a lovely person, not sure why she did that, but it does tell you something about where she came from. 


Baba Yaga is a witch who comes from Slavic folklore. There are many stories connected with her, both in folklore and modern stories. I even remember her from a collection of stories about Russian Prince Ivan I read when I was about seven. Sometimes she is a villain, sometimes she helps the hero. 


She appears in music(Pictures At An Exhibition) and fiction, by the likes of Jane Yolen and Peter Morwood.


She flies around in a mortar and pestle - yes, a giant version of the kitchen equipment we use to grind stuff. Her hut, deep in the forest, is on chicken legs. It is surrounded by a fence of human bones - the bones of her victims.


Author Susan Price’s Ghost World sequence has those huts as homes for shamans. At one point they have a sort of  shaman conference in which everybody arrives in their chicken leg houses. 


Usually, Baba Yaga stories involve someone on a quest, passing by her home and having adventures, or sometimes going there because they have to. 


For example, Vasilisa the Fair, a sort of Cinderella figure, is sent by her wicked stepmother to fetch a light from Baba Yaga.


The witch demands she does some housework in return for the light. She does it with the help of a magic doll her mother left for her and returns with a glowing skull. The stepmother and sisters are burned to death. 


Eventually Vasilisa marries the king. We don’t hear what happens to Baba Yaga, who had thrown the girl out in disgust when told that Vasilisa did all that work with the help of her mother’s blessing. Presumably she is still out there in the forest, meeting young questers and threatening to eat them.


Jane Yolen wrote a verse novel, Finding Baba Yaga, seen from the viewpoint of the witch.


She is in Peter Morwood’s Tales Of Old Russia trilogy, starting with Prince Ivan. This is set in a specific time in mediaeval Russia, but it’s fantasy all right. It begins with the story of Prince Ivan, whose sisters all marry shapeshifting men, before he marries the warrior Marya Morevna. 


In Orson Scott Card’s Enchantment, a young man doing research for his PhD thesis encounters the Sleeping Beauty, who is in a Ukrainian forest. She was put there by Baba Yaga. When the couple marry and move to the US, she follows - and absolutely adores aeroplanes! 


There is plenty more in modern fiction, though many modern stories tend to turn her into a feminist figure. 


Up to you to decide what to call her! 


10 comments:

Ann Bennett said...

To have a house that runs around on bird legs is fanciful enough. I have never heard of Baba Yaga. Thanks.

DA Cairns said...

Baba Yaga in the backyard dunny eh? That probably would have intrigued rather than frightened me, but it's funny the things our parents said to us...and the things we say to our children. Congratulations on coming up in the top ten results of my Google search for A to Z blogs. I can't access the master list of their home page. The link doesn't work. All the best with the challenge. Good onya for being involved.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Ann! It’s worth checking up some of the stories. She is also in the story of Koschei the Deathless, that Russian Voldemort, whom I will mention in K.

Hi D.A! My brother said he would throw his toy guitar at her if she turned up(we didn’t have the back yard funny by then). I think my sister was the only one of us who was scared.

Wow, my blog pops up in the first few results? Amazing!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Ann, I can’t seem to sign into your blog, no idea why. Sorry! I did enjoy reading about Armadillos.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've been a fan of Baba Yaga since I was a little girl many decades ago, lol! She has never particularly frightened me, for some reason. Last Halloween, I did a light-hearted blog post about her; if you want to see it, here's the link:

https://shewhoseeks.blogspot.com/2023/10/witch-week-honours-baba-yaga.html

There's also a fun scene about Baba Yaga in the MCU movie "Ant-Man and the Wasp." One of Scott Lang's crew of petty criminals is Kurt the Russian, who is TERRIFIED of Baba Yaga -- here's a clip:

https://youtu.be/8ZrdYXJNxZM?si=Io-0JphTyXlE7zGV

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Debra! Yes, thanks, I’ll check out your blog post. If it’s like the others, it’s going to be fun! I have seen Ant Man And The Wasp, but don’t recall that scene, must watch the film again.

A Tarkabarka Hölgy said...

Baba Yaga honestly creeps me out. There is a lot of reclaiming her now as a wise woman icon, but I never got around to seeing her like that... :D (I and I do like a lot of other wise women in folklore)

The Multicolored Diary

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Zalka! Well, she is here as a villain. 😉

Anne E.G. Nydam said...

Baba Yaga is a very interestingly complicated character. She seems to be having a moment right now. I always loved her house more than her, but her house is having a moment now, too!

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

I like the complexity of Baba Yaga.

Ronel visiting for B: My Languishing TBR: B
Beware the Bogeyman