Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

A To Z Blogging Challenge Reveal 2023: Myth, Legend And Fairytales In Modern Fiction

 So, it’s nearly that time of year again, when I rise to the A to Z blogging challenge!

This year’s theme will be on myths, legends and folk tales in modern fiction. 


I admit, my original idea was for food in fiction. Next year, perhaps! 


In fact, I was inspired by the book I reviewed in my last post, The Norse Myths That Shape The Way We Think, only it won’t be just Norse myths. I simply adore novels that are based on stories that are familiar to me. (In fact, I’ve done it myself, in both short fiction and in my only novel so far, Wolfborn, based on a Marie De France story, “Bisclavret”. I am plotting a YA novel based on another of her stories, “Lanval”, set in the present day, with a teen hero) 


I have some favourite authors of this kind of fiction, whose work I will be telling you about in these posts, three of whom live right here in Australia - Sophie Masson, Juliet Marillier and Kate Forsyth. 


I’ll talk about both retellings of fairytales and myths and modern stories that are inspired by them. 


I hope you will enjoy it! 

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds great!

Jamie Ghione said...

Echoing Debra. I'll be reading this.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Thanks, Debra! Hi Jamie! I hope you enjoy this year’s A to Z posts here.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sue - I'm sure I'll enjoy them ... just enjoy the process - always good to have 26 extra stories tucked away ... cheers Hilary