Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2022

A To Z Challenge 2022: Shakespeare - J Is For Don John

 

This is what Don John causes. Public Domain.


Today’s Shakespeare character is Don John, the main villain from Much Ado About Nothing. 


He is not a deep or subtle character like Iago. Although, now I think of it, you do have to wonder about the subtlety of someone who ruins lives and destroys a marriage over a job! Still. 


Much Ado About Nothing is one of my favourite Shakespeare plays. It’s a screwball comedy about Benedick and Beatrice, two wonderful, smart people who are constantly slanging each other off but are crazy about each other. More of that later, in M Is For Much Ado About Nothing.


But there is a part of the story about the other couple, Hero and Claudio, and how their lives are nearly ruined. 


Don John is the illegitimate brother of Don Pedro, a prince who is leading an army. The soldiers turn up in Messina, where the play is set, and proceed to party and be celebrated for their victory.


Everyone seems to be having fun except Don John. He hates everyone enjoying themselves and when Claudio, a young soldier and friend of Benedick, gets engaged to Beatrice’s cousin Hero, a sweet young thing, he decides he is going to ruin it for them. The thing is, there is no obvious reason  why he’d do that, other than jealousy of his brother and resentment of being illegitimate. What this has to do with Hero and Claudio is hard to see. But because this is a comedy and has to end happily ever after, there is no pile of bodies on the stage at the end.


His friend Borachio helps out by appearing in a window with his lover Margaret, one of Hero’s two women, who looks a bit like her, so that her fiancé thinks she is unfaithful and humiliates her at the altar.


Claudio gets his comeuppance for doubting his girl and humiliating her - more of that in my M post. 


So does Borachio, who makes the mistake of bragging about it in the presence of the klutzy policeman Dogberry, who arrests him. Don John doesn’t get away with it either.


The role has been played by the likes of Derek Jacobi, in a production with a much younger Maggie Smith and Robert Stephens. I have that on a vinyl boxed set from the old days before CDs and streaming services. 


Keanu Reeves played the role in the film with Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh. Who would have thought? 


A later version, directed by Joss Whedon, featured Sean Maher in the role(Serenity).


Elliot Levey played the role in the version with David Tennant and Catherine Tate. He seems to be best known for some stage productions with the National Theatre, including Coriolanus, in which he played Brutus, a tribune of the People. So I have seen him before, and also in the David Tennant production.


Which is available online. Here is a link.


https://archive.org/details/muchadoaboutnothing_202001


This, and the Branagh/Thompson version are the two best I have ever seen!


11 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What Shakespearean role has Derek Jacobi NOT played over the years?

Sue Bursztynski said...

Chuckle! Just check him in Wikipedia, he has done quite a few. I saw him in a BBC Richard II many years ago. I also was lucky enough to see him on stage in Hamlet, when his company came to Melbourne. I went with a friend and for $16.00 we had front row seats. That was a lot of money in those days, but worth every cent. We sat there feeling very decadent!

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

I'll have to check out the Emma Thompson version.

Ronel visiting for the A-Z Challenge My Languishing TBR: J

Sue Bursztynski said...

I hope you can find it, Ronel. If you can’t, I do recommend the Tennant/Tate one. There is such chemistry between those two, and not only if you think of them as the Doctor and Donna!

Beth Lapin said...

Interesting review of the versions. Thanks.

Beth

https://bethlapinsatozblog.wordpress.com/

Dave Roller said...

I didn't realize that Tenant and Tate worked together other than Dr. Who. Was this before or after Dr. Who? Either way you have me itching to see both versions.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Thanks, Beth, I see you are doing the A to Z yourself. I might wander over later.

Hi Dave! The play came a few years after Season 4, so they had already worked together. You can watch it by following the link. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Dino said...

I'm a bit of a philistine when it comes to Shakespeare.
I've seen a few plays of his but never actually read any of his works.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Dino! When I was uni, I performed two of the plays, because our Shakespeare lecturer said Shakespeare is meant to be performed, not merely read. He was a popular playwright and would be writing for TV if he was around today. So if you’d rather see them than read, that’s fine!

Anne E.G. Nydam said...

Much Ado is definitely my favorite, so I'm looking forward to M. I agree Don John doesn't seem to have a very good motive, but honestly, that's what all bullies are like: someone was mean to them, so they do mean, nasty things just to feel like they have power over other people.
J is for Jewelled

Anne E.G. Nydam said...

Much Ado is definitely my favorite, so I'm looking forward to M. I agree Don John doesn't seem to have a very good motive, but honestly, that's what all bullies are like: someone was mean to them, so they do mean, nasty things just to feel like they have power over other people.
J is for Jewelled