Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2022

A to Z Theme Reveal For 2022

 Time for this year’s A to Z reveal. And this year’s theme is…Shakespeare’s plays! 



Shakespeare - Public Domain



If you have been following this blog for a while, you’ll know I’m a huge fan of the Bard, and have been since I was about twelve, at which age I first read Julius Caesar. I found my sister’s copy, which she had studied in Year 10, and opened it up to read. Next thing I knew I was reading it aloud, declaiming speeches all over the house. I had never before been so excited by anything I had read! 


Then there was Wayne and Schuster’s comic skit, Rinse The Blood Off My Toga. My father and I listened to a recording and quoted bits to each other. I’ll talk more about this further down the track, but meanwhile, you can see the visual version on YouTube if interested, along with other Wayne and Schuster skits. 


I’ll be talking about plays, characters, productions, actors and what films and books have been inspired by Shakespeare.


And, like every year except last year, when I did Greek myths, I will have a hard time thinking of something starting with X.


Oh, well. See you in April.




10 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, this should be fun! Lots of scope in Shakespeare to fill an entire month of posts!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sue - this will be great - I'm ashamed ... I still have your last year's A - Z on Greek Myths to go through! Now I'll follow along - this is a great theme ... I'll enjoy and learn! Cheers - Hilary

Sue Bursztynski said...

Thanks, Debra! I hope so. I have read, seen and performed Shakespeare over the years, always plenty to talk about, and yes, hopefully fun!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Hilary, I do hope you enjoy this year’s!

Anne Young said...

Look forward to following along and finding out how you solve X 🙂

Sue Bursztynski said...

Thanks, Anne! I will try! 😉

Hels said...

I also studied Shakespeare in 4th, 5th and 6th form at school, but I thought we were probably too young back then to really appreciate the value of the contents and the writing style. My English Lit teachers are probably long gone by now, but they will appreciate your theme from heaven :)

AJ Blythe said...

Look forward to seeing what you write about Shakespeare, Sue :)

Anne E.G. Nydam said...

You can't go wrong with Shakespeare! (Well, actually, Shakespeare went disatrously wrong sometimes, but I'm sure you will have interesting things to share about him no matter what!)

Sue Bursztynski said...

Hi Hels! As someone who read and loved her first Shakespeare play at about twelve, I think it depends on the kid. I taught Year 8 English, and added a Shakespeare unit. It was just an introduction in which I taught them quirky stuff such as words first heard in Shakespeare plays, where the theatres were located(I taught in Sunshine and told them the theatres were located in areas pretty much like Sunshine), etc. I got them to look up interesting Shakespeare facts, which they enjoyed. Then we watched a Shakespeare film. It worked very well. TBH, my literature teacher wasn’t very good(and told us there was no way Byron’s Childe Harold was on the exam. Just as well I ignored him and studied it!). My classmates and I did all the discussion.

Hi Anne! I love Shakespeare, so no, I can’t go wrong chatting about him!