Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The Wizardry Of Jewish Women - The New Edition!

And here's the new cover! Nice, isn't it?


A while ago, some of my friends who had books with small press Satalyte Publishing had the shock of finding their beautiful books suddenly out of print when the publisher closed down. One of them was Gillian Polack, author of the above book and other Satalyte titles. 

The good news was, they had their rights back and they have been making the best of things, finding other publishers. Gillian's is Bookview Cafe, a writer's co-op which has some founding members with huge names! (This book was typeset by no less than Vonda McIntyre!). Not everyone can join. You have to have skills the co-op can use - Gillian has several - and you must be someone they can get along with, because you will be helping out with the publishing. 

So the book is now available again, in ebook, and hopefully the others will follow soon. I bought a copy on the web site yesterday, and it was very simple. It's done via PayPal and they send you a receipt which has a link to the download. It's available in both ePub and mobi. When I didn't receive my email, for some reason, I made contact and would you believe I got a reply about ten minutes later, from a gentleman who said he'd sent me another email and, in case that didn't work, here was a link to the checkout page, which I had lost. And that did have my download. So now it's safe on my iPad and I believe they're fine with you downloading it to another device. Well, iBooks lets you do that; my phone is connected to my iPad. And I do read on my phone sometimes. 

So, if you missed out on the Satalyte edition, which was launched only last September, here's another chance! It's well worth a read.

I'm currently reading Gillian's earlier novel, The Time Of The Ghosts, and enjoying it very much. It's set in Gillian's home town of Canberra and features a young woman and her three "grandmothers", in the best fairytale style, one of whom may not be what she seems... And ghosts and odd creatures from Europe(our ghostbusting grandmothers leave the local spirits alone) and saving the world - well, Canberra anyway - one coffee and one dinner party at a time. I'm really liking the flirtatious ghost of a bushranger who died in the 1840s, who rather fancies one of the older ladies. 

I bought one of the last copies direct from the author on the weekend, but if you wander over to Bookview Cafe, it should be available in ebook there eventually.



2 comments:

Tamara Narayan said...

It's interesting how Amazon is taking out publishers, but then gets the authors to publish on their (or other) sites as e-books. The times are a changing.

Sue Bursztynski said...

As far as I know, the closure of Satalyte was for personal reasons and had nothing to do with Amazon. I think it's wonderful that books which might otherwise languish out of print are now available again. And Bookview is a writers co-op, run by some of the biggest banes in SF and fantasy!