Search This Blog

Saturday, November 26, 2016

On Blogger And Comments

Hi, would-be commenters!

Google in its wisdom has rejigged Blogger's layout. I can no longer open my dashboard, scroll down from my list of blogs(I have two of my own and another one I set up for the purpose of using a no-longer-available free ebook service to ebook my students' posts. But it gets hits, so I've left it up.) and read the blogs I follow. It's all separate now, no more dashboard at all.

I don't know how it's affected comments, because they used to be there on the dashboard next to the blog concerned. You have to click into the "comments" link now. I did do a fiddle yesterday, changing my readers thing from "Google accounts" to "Registered users" in case people without a Google profile had been trying to comment, but that may have nothing to do with the fact that one regular commenter has not turned up this weekend. Or it may, so for now I've put it back to "Google accounts".

If you're reading this, I'd appreciate a comment on this post, so I can see if I'm doing something wrong, or if I just haven't had comments. For now, Google profiles only, then I'll try "Registered users" again.

Thanks!

Okay, since writing the above I have broadened my comments option again. You can now comment from a different account, just not anonymously. 

5 comments:

miki said...

Hi Sue,

i hope this wil help you see how it works now ( to be honest i haven't seen the change yet so i can't help otherwise)

Pamela said...

Commenting here!

I hate not having my dashboard. -_-

miki said...

my first comment isn't appearing but i hope you got it

Unknown said...

I've had some issues with commenting too, not just on my blog, but on other people's too. I often have problems with Wordpress blogs, even though I have a WP account. And a few .com blogs I can't comment on at all. Like Kim Weiland's and Michelle Wallace's. My comment is accepted, a comment number appears in the address line, but no comment ever shows up. I think it's being caught in spam since I'm from a 3rd world country. Sadly, the blog owner never seems to check spam and moderate my comments. :( I hope your problems go away. Have a lovely week!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Thanks, guys! All your comments appeared, including both of yours, Miki! But I had to open "moderation" to find it and no hint until I did open the link, whereas before anything awaiting moderation showed up on my dashboard. Although none of you does moderation, you may need to check out your links or go straight to your blog before you know. Lexa, I once had a comment which had been in the moderation bin for a YEAR! I felt so guilty! I wrote and apologised to the author.

I HATE WP. I have an account too, but whenever I try to comment on a WP blog, it either posts me with my WP name, Raventracks, which was a joke, or tells me I can't log in on Google because it's in use(?). So I have had to log into Twitter and give permission before I can comment on any WP blog.