Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Vale Sarah Jane!


I couldn't sleep this morning, so I got up and went on-line to check out the Swancon program - I'm heading off tomorrow very early and have to finish preparing. I turned on the radio and just now I have heard the sad news. At only sixty-three, Elisabeth Sladen, Sarah Jane Smith to those of us who love Dr Who, has died of cancer.

I liked Sarah Jane from the moment she turned up, pretending to be someone else, to get a good news story. She didn't take nonsense from the Doctor, which is saying something for Tom Baker's version, and when she was ready, she left, even if she didn't get the dramatic exit she'd hoped for. I was so pleased when the character returned and the Doctor had time to explain himself and reconcile with her. And that scene where she and Rose are sharing jokes about him and laughing their heads off!

Elisabeth Sladen was a wonderful companion, one of my favourites, and it was clear she enjoyed what she was doing.

RIP, Elisabeth!

2 comments:

Sheeprustler said...

I was so upset when I saw this on Facebook on the way to work. Almost bawled in the train! She will be sadly missed. And yes, keeping Tom Baker's Doctor under control, great kudos for that!!!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Yes, it was a great shock. I didn't know about her cancer - apparently, it wasn't publicised.

This, so soon after Diana Wynne Jones! I only learned about that a short time ago too.