Search This Blog

Friday, November 05, 2010

At last!



Here it is - my book. I got my first advance copy on Thursday. I ordered some extra copies because my author copies won't be arriving for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I handed out a few copies to those students who had helped me early in the year. to their history teachers and to a friend on staff, then took some home for my mother and sister.

But there was no excitement quite like that I felt coming home on Thursday, finding the envelope and ripping it open. The students at my school have been sharing the excitement of the process. They got the first look at potential covers. I have to say, this is not the one most of them chose, but they have been pleased to share the process with me, asking now and then how it was going, when it would be out, could they read it when it did.

I'm hoping to do a school-based launch, if I can do it before all the end-of-year stuff catches up. Exams, assemblies, end-of-year activities... We'll see. If I can't do it now, I will have a belated one first thing next year, but I'm hoping not to lose the impetus.

It doesn't matter how many books you've done (this is my tenth if you don't count the manuscript I did for that small publisher who then informed all her writers that she couldn't publish because the Canadians didn't have the money to give her, but that's another story). It's always, always exciting to see the finished product for the first time. You never get used to it. Well, I don't.

Oh, joy!

5 comments:

Beth said...

Hi Sue,

Hearty congratulations on your new book. I'm really looking forward to reading it. I've been immersed in mothering for a while but dip into your blog from time to time, skulking around without commenting. But today I couldn't help myself, given the enormity of the occasion! All the best to you and Wolfborn. Beth D

Sue Bursztynski said...

Oh, wow! What a lovely surprise! For those of you who don't know, Beth edited my very first book, for Allen and Unwin. It was a non-fiction book on the subject of monsters, and I remember the pride I felt in how it was the best it could be - it was Beth who made it that way with her thoughtful editing.

Morva Shepley said...

That's wonderful news, Sue. Congratulations.

I also think it's wonderful that you have given your students the opportunity to be involved with the process of getting your book published. It is such a great bonus for them.

Romy @ Lost.in.Stories said...

Congratulations Sue! The cover looks fantastic :) It's great that you involve your students they must have loved that.

Romy

Sue Bursztynski said...

Thanks, guys! Yes, the kids did get a kick out of it. Only four took me up on the offer originally, but they're very glad they did, since their names are in the acknowledgements. But all of them are quite excited and have been following it, helping me with opinions on the cover, asking when it will be in the library, noticing my wolf pendant - "Is that about Wolfborn, Miss?" It can't hurt with the reading interest, can it? Even the reluctant readers want at least a look at it.