Search This Blog

Sunday, August 19, 2018

CBCA Winners 2018

I have a confession to make: this year I have only read two of the shortlisted books. Both were in the Older Readers. One of them won. The other didn’t even get an Honours listing, which is a pity, because it was a wonderful book. Now I will have to read the Honours books to see if I agree with the judges. I’ve interviewed authors of both books I have read - a link below to my interview with the lovely Simmone Howell about Take Three Girls, winner of this year’s Older Readers.  And since it missed out on a place on the list below, here is my interview with the delightful Vikki Wakefield, about her great novel Ballad For A Mad Girl!  If you’re like me and haven’t got around to reading them, now is the time to get cracking! 


CBCA Awards 2018 winners 

Older readers

Winner
• Take Three Girls (Cath Crowley, Fiona Wood & Simmone Howell, Pan)


Honour books

• Mallee Boys (Charlie Archbold, Wakefield Press)
• In the Dark Spaces (Cally Black, Hardie Grant Egmont)

Younger readers

Winner            
   
• How to Bee (Bren MacDibble, A&U)

Honour books   
                               
• Henrietta and the Perfect Night (Martine Murray, A&U)
• Marsh and Me (Martine Murray, Text)

Early childhood

Winner

• Rodney Loses It (Michael Gerard Bauer, illus by Chrissie Krebs, Omnibus)

Honour books  
• The Very Noisy Baby (Alison Lester, illus by Alison Lester, Affirm)
• Hark, It’s Me, Ruby Lee! (Lisa Shanahan, illus by Binny, Hachette)

Picture book

Winner               
                                
• A Walk in the Bush (Gwyn Perkins, Affirm)

Honour books       
           
• The Great Rabbit Chase (Freya Blackwood, Scholastic)
• Mopoke (Philip Bunting, Omnibus)

Eve Pownall Award for Information Books

Winner                               
• Do Not Lick This Book (Idan Ben-Barak, illus by Julian Frost, A&U)

Honour books  

• Left & Right (Lorna Hendry, Wild Dog Books)
• Koala (Claire Saxby, illus by Julie Vivas, Walker Books)

Crichton Award for Debut Illustrator

Winner                               

• Rovina Cai for Tintinnabula (Margo Lanagan, Little Hare).

2 comments:

AJ Blythe said...

CBCA - Children Book C??? Award

I'm sure I should know what it is but my brain won't put it together for me at the moment.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Children’s Book Council of Australia. 😁