Search This Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2016

On Reading ... Edgar Allan Poe



Edgar Allan Poe. Public Domain


I've read some in the past, just a little, but I tend to think of him mostly as the master of horror fiction, although I know he was also the author of some mysteries. My Year 11 niece Dezzy wants me to check out her story outline for English Extensions, in which she is focusing on American Gothic. English extensions seems to involve some creative writing in particular styles and then explaining the symbolism according to the symbolism found in the original fiction.  Hmm, I can already see her doing a Masters in Creative Writing, if she hadn't already said she wants to do Psychology...

Anyway, she explained that if you've read Edgar Allan Poe you should have some idea of American Gothic.

So I thought it was about time I did read some of his classic short fiction and downloaded a couple of volumes from Gutenberg. I'm about to read "The Murders In The Rue Morgue", which introduces his pre-Holmes detective C.Auguste Dupin.

But Edgar Allan Poe also wrote funny! Who knew? I didn't! Never too late to learn something new.

I've read three stories so far, including one about Scheherezade telling one more, truly weird Sinbad story after she's married... and annoying her husband enough to order her throttled after all - a very silly and over the top tale! I loved his comment that she must have read Machiavelli before undertaking her original scheme.

And "The Gold Bug" which contains a sort of McGuffin. I thought it might be horror fiction, but instead it was a cryptography story and the guy you first assume must be crazy isn't. The representation of the African American character as a clown was annoying, but you have to remember he was a Southerner, well and truly before the Civil War. I've long ago forgiven Shakespeare for Shylock, so what the heck.

And it was funny! I admit I did skip over some of the detailed cryptography but perhaps some time I'll have a play with the cipher.

Meanwhile, on to the Rue Morgue! 

No comments: