Search This Blog

Friday, March 20, 2015

GNU Terry Pratchett And The Clacks!

My sister, a fellow Terry Pratchett fan, told me about this, so I googled it and found this article in the Guardian. What a great idea! I'm going to have a go at it today, when I get home and can try it on my own computer. It will probably work on the iPad, because it's about your browser or your email link, not your computer, but I'll feel better playing with it there.

If you're a Pratchett fan, you will have read Going Postal, in which the clacks men keep the dead man's name alive through a message system on the clacks. Tech-savvy fans have worked this out. I don't have any of the appropriate browsers, but it works with Gmail. Apparently it's subtle; you have to "view source" to see the tribute. But it's there. I'll let you know how it turns out, when I get it going.

I think Sir Terry would have loved it. He was certainly amused with the verses people came up with for the Hedgehog Song. And the fact that people actually created a game of Thud.

And if you're not a fan, you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, so the only advice I can give you at this stage is to start reading the Discworld novels RIGHT NOW! 

No comments: